My Cichlids Just Had Babies!

ElectricY

New Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Who the @#$% knows!
It's been 7 months since I bought my red zebras and yellow labs when they were about 1". My situation now is that the little guys have had babies and I did not notice this until my little brother pointed it out. The babies do look like red zebras, but aside from that I can only find 3 that are hiding in little crevices. As of right now my fish look safe so is it a good idea to move them anytime soon? I also think that the babies may be hybrids because I have a yellow lab that may be holding. Not sure though because it usually eats so much that it can swallow it's food. So what should I do with the babies? I may move them and the holding lab to a 10 gal. Please offer advice thanks!
 
Well, you need to decide if you want to keep the babies or leave them in the tank and see if they survive. Since you have L.caeruleus & M.estherae in the same tank, I highly recommend you not sell or give them away as those species are notorious for producing hybrids. If you want to raise and keep them in your own tanks, I say go for it. :good:

Fry can be kept in the 10gal until they are big enough not to be eating (around 1" to 1 1/2"), they can be fed the same food as the adults, just crushed for their little mouths. You can also feed them baby brine shrimp which they will love you for. :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top