My Bettas Tail Is Starting To Shred.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, epsom salt isn't the same as freshwater aquarium salt. Aquarium salt is pretty cheap though usually but you could substitute it with rock salt (the kind you'd use to make home-made ice cream, not to melt ice on the roads)

Right, I'll leave off on the Epsom salts then! :) I might get a hold of some aquarium salt tomorrow.

So, he now has a floating plastic 'garlic'...the orange was a bit big and I was afraid that the light might melt it if it got too close to the fluorescent bulb .

Now he has a barrel and a variety of tunnels, bridges and cubby holes to explore.

Here's what it looks like now:

HPIM4757.jpg

Unfortunately, I kind of messed up his little bubble nest in the process....but perhaps he'll make another one?

Ok, so once again, thanks for the help...I'm really hoping he'll be alot happier now. :good:

That looks much better and once the plants grow it'll be the perfect pad for him :good:

Also see if you can get hold of some floating amazon frogbit. Bettas love to hang out in their roots. Pippoodle on the forum was selling some recently and may still have some.

Oh yeah! Actually, only this morning I ordered a floating plant from Ebay for my gourami in my other tank....

I got some Crystalwort (Riccia Fluitans) ..the seller will be posting it to me tomorrow hopefully, it'll get to me sometime during the week.

So I can put it in the Bettas tank too. Or would the Amazon Frogbit be better would you think?

Thanks!

Riccia is good too. The only difference is that the frogbit roots grow really long and they love to rest in them. I've got quite a bit of it in my tanks and had to trim the roots recently. They also like to bubblenest under them.

Fair enough...sure I'll see how the Riccia goes, and if I find its not working out, I might do a trade for some Amazon Frogbit.

Ok, Thanks alot for all the help...tomorrow is another day, and I'm off to bed now!

I hope this lads tail sorts itself out in good time.

Night, night! :zz

Nite nite.....will keep fingers crossed that he stops real soon :good:

Hi all,

I have a little Betta...he's a male and I got him on Wednesday.

He's been doing well, and feeding etc. He's happy enough fluting about the 10gal tank on his own.

This morning I noticed his tail looked a bit ragged. I thought he might have caught it on something during the night.
Mine is the same. Please help.

Just now I looked in the tank, and I notice the tail is further shredded....so I'm a bit puzzled?

There is nothing really in the tank that would lead to his tail being damaged...plus he's been in there so far without incident.

He is not distressed in any way, so I'm not too concerned about his overall health, but just wondering what might be causing this rapid tail erosion?

Now, one thing is, I added Nutrafin Plant gro to the water yesterday evening, this is the only change I have made to the tank....could this be effecting the tissue in his tail? Perhaps its thinning it out and causing it to shred? Is it possible? :unsure:

By the way....I have two pieces of smooth bogwood & a resin log in the tank...plus live planted Amazon swordplants, twisted vallis and round tiny sand-like gravel. (I bought it for my impending Corys so it definitely wouldn't rip the bettas tail )
There is a mature filter in the tank...
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5ppm
pH: 7.6
Maybe a couple of pics will help determine whats going on....

HPIM4675_edited.jpg

HPIM4662_edited-1.jpg

See the edge of his tail has gone all white...and although I can't get a good picture, his tail is ripping and fraying.

Can someone tell me is Melafix used for Bettas or not?....I'm reading conflicting reports on this forum.

How would I go about dosing....I have 38.7L tank (10 US gal). Can I just dose as per the bottles instructions or should I dilute it?

Also, would I need to change the water every day then re-dose, or is it okay just to dose once and re-dose each day as per the instructions on the bottle...it only mentions a 25% water change AFTER the dose has been given for 7 days?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! :good:

I am having the same issues. Seems to be worse when I get to work on monday morning. His tail looks worse. I have changed water several times, all of the parameters are great, no sharp items in tank, not over feeding. I feel so bad for him. He acts fine, but looks pitiful.

Hi all,

He's been doing well, and feeding etc. He's happy enough fluting about the 10gal tank on his own.

This morning I noticed his tail looked a bit ragged. I thought he might have caught it on something during the night.

Just now I looked in the tank, and I notice the tail is further shredded....so I'm a bit puzzled?

There is nothing really in the tank that would lead to his tail being damaged...plus he's been in there so far without incident.

He is not distressed in any way, so I'm not too concerned about his overall health, but just wondering what might be causing this rapid tail erosion?

Now, one thing is, I added Nutrafin Plant gro to the water yesterday evening, this is the only change I have made to the tank....could this be effecting the tissue in his tail? Perhaps its thinning it out and causing it to shred? Is it possible? :unsure:

By the way....I have two pieces of smooth bogwood & a resin log in the tank...plus live planted Amazon swordplants, twisted vallis and round tiny sand-like gravel. (I bought it for my impending Corys so it definitely wouldn't rip the bettas tail )

Hi all,

I am anxious to see the feedback. I am having the same problems.

This post s from 2009. You may want to start a new one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back