My 4Ft Community Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

very nice tank here :good: simple yet extremely striking.

how do the corydoras and synodontis get a long may i ask?

Pink.

Hi, They are fine.. No problems to report ;) Always found syno's to be quite private unlike the cory thats always mingling ;)

Hi Lawrence,

We are having a bit of hard time with our community tank.

Our female guppies seems to be dropping off every few days.

I check the water and it seems fine. Weird. Also our Male Golden Molly and the black one also gone.

I was thinking it could be the Guramis, but they seem to very passive..

Perhaps we aren't dilligent enought with the water.. do you think the Malawis are more resiliant?

Thanks in advance

CapeCruiser

Hmm, not sure what to say.. I guess the gourami could be slightly aggressive, more likely if they are golds or blues but can't imagine they would kill them! If it was the Gourami they would more than likely just be chasing or finn nipping which should be visible.

Personally I wouldn't say Malawi's are any easier when it comes to water quality... Water changes are still important just like mixed specie tanks.

Im hope you get sorted, before losing any more.. Are you doing regular water changes?

Wow that tank is class!!! Less is definately more. My current tanks usually have loaads of plants, but i really love yours now. I must cut back a bit!

it's only early days and so i'm not sure if I'm going to increase the plants or not. I know what you mean sometimes it's nicer to have feature plants otherwise they take away the main focus of the fish. Although saying that, there are some planted tanks that I look at and dream of lol. Sadly never going to have a perfectly planted tank as dosing with CO2 or liquid ferts is a bit to time consuming for me, water changes take up enough time as it is.

All the best,

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

We are having a bit of hard time with our community tank.

Our female guppies seems to be dropping off every few days.

I check the water and it seems fine. Weird. Also our Male Golden Molly and the black one also gone.

I was thinking it could be the Guramis, but they seem to very passive..

Perhaps we aren't dilligent enought with the water.. do you think the Malawis are more resiliant?

Thanks in advance

CapeCruiser

Hmm, not sure what to say.. I guess the gourami could be slightly aggressive, more likely if they are golds or blues but can't imagine they would kill them! If it was the Gourami they would more than likely just be chasing or finn nipping which should be visible.

Personally I wouldn't say Malawi's are any easier when it comes to water quality... Water changes are still important just like mixed specie tanks.

Im hope you get sorted, before losing any more.. Are you doing regular water changes?

Hey, thanks for the reply,

Yeah.. doing regular water changes, (actually due for one now :-( ) LOL

The fishes seems to have stabilised, I got a few extra (replacement) fishes, and they seem to be doing well.. I got another female moly, white.. and coupld female guppies, seems they are "with fry" almost.. not sure which way to go.. seperate tank, or get one of those floating net thinggys. (kids are excited at the possibility of fry.. hope I can get them to safety before the rest have a feast ( i think thats what happend with the last lot.. ooopsey)

Another thing, I have simular round giant pebble type rocks, but the top of them are getting quite covered with algea I guess.. (green'ish) should I take them out and scrub with plain water... or just leave it?

My plants a doing real well.. they have grown quite a bit.. I was thinking before of adding some more.. but at this rate I dont need to.

Any updates (pics) on your tank?

:good:
Hey, thanks for the reply,

Yeah.. doing regular water changes, (actually due for one now :-( ) LOL

The fishes seems to have stabilised, I got a few extra (replacement) fishes, and they seem to be doing well.. I got another female moly, white.. and coupld female guppies, seems they are "with fry" almost.. not sure which way to go.. seperate tank, or get one of those floating net thinggys. (kids are excited at the possibility of fry.. hope I can get them to safety before the rest have a feast ( i think thats what happend with the last lot.. ooopsey)

Another thing, I have simular round giant pebble type rocks, but the top of them are getting quite covered with algea I guess.. (green'ish) should I take them out and scrub with plain water... or just leave it?

My plants a doing real well.. they have grown quite a bit.. I was thinking before of adding some more.. but at this rate I dont need to.

Any updates (pics) on your tank?

Glad to hear things have settled, and your expecting fry. The in tank fry nets, that hang on the side are quite good.. especially if you have kids as they can see them in the net and watch them gro. Then once large enought to survive they can watch them be re-leased in to the main tank.
BreedingNet.jpg

Haven't used them for years but when I did always placed a plant in there aswell to give the fry somewhere to hide, rather than leaving them feeling exposed. Failing that if you have plenty of floating plants they fry may be fine in the tank ;)

The cobbles I have are Granit and do also go a bit green after time.. when I changed the tank over from Malawi's, i did soak mine in diluted bleach but this is not advisable if the cobbles are porus as it will suck up the bleach. I then left them soaking in fresh water and gave them a good scrub with a wire brush and they came up a treat after drying naturally.

Lights have gone out now, but will try and get an updated pic posted tomorrow

Keep in touch :good:

Been a long time since my last update, apologies...

I took a bit of aquarium footage last night as it was nice dark with only me in the house.. if anyone fancies a look I have put it on you tube: My Aquarium

Feel free to give any feedback or advice ;)

All the best,

T'UK

Nice vid :good: Your rocks have come along nicely from the 1st pic, I do like the clean look but I guess it looks more natural now

Thanks Trippy,

Yes they have aged now, although I have recently moved my two Otocinclus from my cube after they did their job in there and they have already started cleaning them up..

I was amazed the following morning as you could see where they had been grazing on the rocks.

Needs an afternoon of maintenance but just haven't had the time recently, just been keeping up with water changes and filter maintenance. Will give a good tidy up in March when I should have more time.

Water isn't very clear in the video as I had just played with the filter before to add some Purigen...

Cheers,

T'UK

Nice setup :hyper:

Looks really Natural and calm.

Have you got a list of the fish in there?

Thought I would post a picture of my 4ft Planted Aquarium, only recently planted as I have just changed it back to community fish after a year of trying out Malawi Cichlids...

129KON6XH9.jpg

FISH SPECIES SO FAR:
Nematobrycon palmeri x 16
Corydoras julii/trilineatus x 4
Synodontis euptera x 2
Hypostomus plecostomus x 1

PLANTS:
Anubias heterophylla
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Microsorium pteropus
Cyperus helferi
Hygrophila rosae australis

Planning to add some Mopani wood and Java moss soon, along with a pair of Trichogaster leeri and a pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher or Microgeophagus ramirezi.

Very nice!!!
I like the layout :)

Hi where can I get these cobbles from? I absolutely love them but can only find little ones. Thank you

I'm afraid you are unlikely to get a reply as the thread is 12 years old and the person who posted the photos/videos ahas not been on the forum for over 4 years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back