moving my ram to a community tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

King puff

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have had my female German Blue Ram in a 10 gallon tank for about a year now. Ever since getting her I have wanted to put her in my 29 community tank.

The tank is very heavily planted and has 5 white clouds, 7 black neon tetras, a BN pleco, and a rainbow goby.

The 10 gallon is a sand substrate and has a high level of tannin while the 29 gallon does not. The 10 gallon also has a much higher temperature.

The concern that I would have would be aggression, stress because of lower temperature, stress because of no sand (though I never see her sifting it anyway), aggression from the pleco, or stress because of the lack of tannin

The 29 gallon gets 50% water changes every week

It seems fine, just remember to acclimate her and watch her for a while because females seem to be a little bit extra territorial.

You will not have the ram very long if you do this, primarily because of temperature. The common ram, Mikrogheophagus ramirezi, including all of the man-made varieties, needs higher temperatures than many tropical fish. A minimum of 80F/27C is needed if you want the ram to be healthy and not die prematurely.

The other fish mentioned are the opposite; this high a temperature will negatively impact the White Clouds which is a temperate species. The goby may have oxygen issues with warmer water. The black neons will be at the top end of their range, and this is generally not advisable because it means the fish is working harder just to carry out normal functions.

I have been keeping a female electric blue ram in a 29 gallon community with 2 sunset honey gourami, 4 neon rainbow fish, 6 harlequin rasboras, 6 pepper cories and a boat load of feeder shrimp (nothing eats them and they thrive! plus we cant get any shrimp imported to Hawaii so I have to make do :(). The tank has been going for about a year and I have no issues with aggression.

The ram is the biggest fish in the tank and does not chase around anyone. Im sure every fish will be different but in my situation this setup is working fine.

On a side note, I live in Hawaii and I don't use any heating devices (don't know anyone here who does), the temperatures here get to mid high 60's in the winter and high 90's in the summer. Take that as you will.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back