Most Dangerous Spider In The Uk

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.
:blink: :crazy: :sick:

Not true- that was deliberately made up to see what people would believe. And they fell for it.

Where'd you here that? I think it's possible.

From snopes.com

Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.

In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet.

most critters you encounter in australia are not interested in people and are perfectly fine if you don't make a fuss and just leave them alone :thumbs: .

think that's true of everywhere tbh!

apart from the giant house spiders of the tegenaria family which are known to be aggressive, and are native british spiders. fair enough they can't poison you to death, but thems buggers aren't afraid of us at all, never mind what our mums tell us about "they're more afraid of you than you are of them", that's rubbish lol. :crazy:

Bloody wooses :lol:

In Australia we have an absolute plethora of things that can kill you in a matter of seconds/minutes/hours/days. Doesn't stop us going about life being the laughing, smiling larikins that we are. If you spend your life worrying about every dangerous thing that comes along you are never going to enjoy life to it's fullest. I have lived in a rural area my whole life and have come across plenty of things which could potentially kill me but if you watch where you walk/stick your hands/etc and respect the wildlife (especially the agressive ones, and there are a fair few of them) then you don't have alot to worry about other than who's round it is next...O.k, O.k, the reason we are so happy-go-lucky and not worried about the wildlife is due to all the beer :lol:

I often think this about the films I see set in America, where the kids are running down the field by the river etc and my husband is saying "I bet that's full of snakes...copper heads, water moccasins...." - I guess you have to worry a bit but not worry too much.

Wow i live in Northampton and ive never seen one of those....
However when i went to tenerife i saw one... that is CANARY islands tho, so i see what you mean :p
im aracnaphobyc too!!!
äc

Most reactions

Back