Mollies Dying - Any Advice?

chris301up

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Birmingham - West Midlands UK
:hyper: Over the past couple of weeks my Mollies have been dying off at approximately one a day. They were born in captivity about this time last year and until recently I have never had any problems. The symptoms are; they tend to look longer with slightly arched backs, they then seam to struggle to swim, eventually lying on the bottom where they die.

I have trawled through the forum looking for answers but have not managed to sort out the problem, so can anyone advise?

Aquauium is a Jewel Rio Vision 180
Volume: approx. 180 litres
High-Lite Lighting Unit - 2 x 45 W
Sandard Juwel Filter System: Compact H
Temperature: set at 26/28 degrees
Artificial plants

Initial stock:
4 x Tiger Barbs
4 x Ottos
10 x Rainbow Mollies
18 x Sunshine Mollies

Water readings as of 16 Jan 2009
Ph = 7.0/7.5
Nitrite = 0.1
Nitrate = 20 (Tap water is approximately the same)
Amonia = 0.0/0.5

For information; I have recently completed about a 1/3 water change and thouroughly washed he substrate.
 
Those traces of ammonia and nitrIte wont be helping the situation, arched backs, sunken bellies can be sign a internal parasites to fish TB. Have you used any medication, if so, what? How does the fish poo look, is it white and stringy?
 
Those traces of ammonia and nitrIte wont be helping the situation, arched backs, sunken bellies can be sign a internal parasites to fish TB. Have you used any medication, if so, what? How does the fish poo look, is it white and stringy?

The nitrate reading is the same as the tap water.

I have not used any medication yet as I wasn't sure if that is the problem!

Poo looks the same athough I would agree it is white and stringy
 
NitrIte reading, not nitrAte reading has traces.

Sounds like an internal bacterial problem, whereabouts are you so someone can advice on meds available to you.
 
Interpet no9 anti bacterial med is the 1st one that springs to mind to use, you should be able to get it from most LFS.

I suggest you do a 30% water change before you start the med, make sure you remove any carbon from your filter before adding (as carbon removes meds), then follow the instruction on the med, I think it 1ml per 9Litres of water or something like that.
 
Interpet no9 anti bacterial med is the 1st one that springs to mind to use, you should be able to get it from most LFS.

I suggest you do a 30% water change before you start the med, make sure you remove any carbon from your filter before adding (as carbon removes meds), then follow the instruction on the med, I think it 1ml per 9Litres of water or something like that.

Thanks

Have already done water change, so do you recommend another.

Will try Interpet 9 and see how it goes
 
If you've done one already today, then no need before dosing, if it was a few days ago, yes I would as cleaner water is always a help.
 
NitrIte reading, not nitrAte reading has traces.

Sounds like an internal bacterial problem, whereabouts are you so someone can advice on meds available to you.

Thanks

I live in Halesowen, about 4 miles from Birmingham.


You're just up the road from me. I'm in Stourbridge.

You can get the medication reccomended above in 2x2 in Merryhill (possibly one of the worst places to buy live fish I have ever come across but they stock the usual array of dry goods ) which is probably the neares place to you. Prestwood Petzone near the Stewpony also stock a good range of medicaments too.
 
NitrIte reading, not nitrAte reading has traces.

Sounds like an internal bacterial problem, whereabouts are you so someone can advice on meds available to you.

Thanks

I live in Halesowen, about 4 miles from Birmingham.


You're just up the road from me. I'm in Stourbridge.

You can get the medication reccomended above in 2x2 in Merryhill (possibly one of the worst places to buy live fish I have ever come across but they stock the usual array of dry goods ) which is probably the neares place to you. Prestwood Petzone near the Stewpony also stock a good range of medicaments too.

Thaks for your reply

I have been to A & D Aquatics in Oldbury for the medication and would recommend these for all your needs if you are local.

I agree 2 x 2 are not the best for livestock so I tend to avoid them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top