Metals in water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cell

Reaction score
ive been told that the well water im on here has alot of metals. Some it could be related to old piping. how would i test for metals? my college has a large aquaculture division, think they could help me out? are there and conditioners that can remove, or displace metal in water? besides copper is there any other metals that can harm fish? what about snails?
my snails are spending alot of time near the water line? trying to escape te water? could it be THAT bad? i wouldn't drink it but the guy in the other apartment keeps chiclids(sp?) in it and they thrive and breed. of course i know not all fish require the same parameters.
Also most of my fish have been flashing alot, the cories seem unaffected tho, and Bettas too, just platies and guppies, flashing up a storm.

anyone have ideas/suggestions?! :huh:

A dechlorinator that contains EDTA will neuterize heavy metals. Off the top of my head I think it does some sort of chealating thing to bind them up, making them non-toxic to fish.

Tolak

i use Aqua plus declorinater that says it removes heavy metals aswell, i know the guy in the basement uses this, he just dumps it in, hes heavy on it, maybe i'll just double my dose to make sure everything is nutralized. a double dose is reccomended to protect scales and fins anyway, it can't hurt. i'll just need to buy bigger bottles...

and THANKS! for making me look at the bottle, i never thought this stuff reduced the metals! :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back