Meet Dewie The Albino Hamster

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BWBettas

Bettas Eh?
Reaction score
Here is my pride and joy. At a age of 2 years and 7 months old i believe he is doing quite well for his age. And just look at his colouring!! hope you like him !

Bret

Attachments

• DEWIE.JPG
    DEWIE.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 41
Great colouring and great age ! :good: Any more (close-up) pics ?

Ps: true albino it's not though as the ears are pigmented. Which I believe makes him a Dark Eared White.
But you probably already knew that as they are referred to as "DEW" - hence your name probably Dewie ? :) Or pure coincidence ?

I found this interesting:

An adult DEW has pure white fur, but pigment develops in the pinna of the ears from the age of about 30 days onwards, eventually attaining the same intensity of colour as the ears of a Golden. Pigment is also present in the perineal area, but lacking in the eyes which are clear pink. The DEW is not, therefore, a true albino, but is related to the acromelanic thermo-sensitive phenotype of, for example, the Himalayan rabbit or the Siamese cat. The DEW gene is symbolised cd.

We used to have one that looked like that as kids. My brother named her Polarham (polar bear, hamster combo). She was a lovely little thing. Think she lasted about 4 years, but then again, most of our hampsters lasted 3-4 years.

:D

Erm, no i didnt know about the DEW bit lol. My first hamster was called Chewie and she managed to escape and we never found her. And i thought ill remember her by calling my new one dewie. So i didnt know lol. Anyway i still think of him as an abino as he has the red eyes lol but nevermind :p

Bret

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back