Measuring the salt

Sorry if I came off as argumentative. I've never used the glass ones. Even with a fill-up type, I suggest comparing it agains a refractometer for accuracy.

no worries, your post actually prompted me to have a quick look on ebay at refractometers for price - they have them at a third of the price my lfs does, and only about £15 more than my glass one cost me :( ah well, thats how it goes eh?

The refractometers on ebay cost £35.00 (inc postage) my lfs charges between 11 - 19 pounds for a hydrometer.

Is it worth paying the extra 15-20 quid or not :dunno:

I love my refractometer & wouldn't use anything else. I've already broken 2 plastic hydrometers. I think since my refractometer is more expensive, maybe I take better care of it??? :shifty:

Reading up on brackish tanks I read theres about 35g of salt per litre full sea water, I change about 20litres of water each water change at a rate of 10l per go due to the bucket i use (following so far :blink: ) if at each go I make up 1 litre of full marine and add nine litres of fresh I'm getting a SG of around .002/3 ish.
Over several weeks of this change I will eventually bring my tank up to this and then can ajust a little to keep the water between this and .005 my final wish list SG. :/

OK I think I've got it suss, talking to lfs guy today he laughs at my plan and says just bung a few t/poons in each week untill you get what you want :crazy:

Am i being too fussy???

Apologies for bugging you guys with this again, I must be thick
:sad: cause I find it really hard to get my head round.

it's fine to increase from 1.003 to 1.005 in 1 week. just keep adding small amounts each day until you arrive at your total ammount or just below then on your water change add enough to make it up to 1.005.

in the wild brackish areas have a slightly varrying SG anyways so the fish won't be bothered to much.

I salted the tank for the first time today but before doing so I measured the fresh water it showed a reading of .002 ish - is this normal?

i think your hydrometer is a bit off.

if it has a arm that wiggles aorund get a stick and tap it, some airbubble will probable come off.

Hmm I'll have to try it again tomorrow although I did try it twice today and came up with the same result, its an instant ocean one -_-

Cheers.

i think mines an instant ocean aswell, just give it a couple of smacks on the side when you fill it or get a pen and jab the pointer a few times to get any air bubbles off. works for me!

Most reactions

Back