Mean Killifish

ScoutCarcer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought an Unknown Killifish that turned out to be a pale Golden Dream Killifish. Everything I read sayed it would be good in my tank. But I wake up this morning to torn fins. The corys, molly, guppy, even the pleco that hids all the time. I looked at Eddie(Killi) and not a scratch on him but I had to be sure it was him. One of the guppys went up to Eddie and he got bet up more. So I got Eddie out right away. He was nice to the before and hes very well fed so I dont know hes being mean now. Is there anything I can do to get Eddie to be nice to them agian or should I get rid of Eddie?

Hi,
I think you are talking about Aplocheilus Lineatus (Gold)
http://www.akwarium.org.pl/slodkowodne/ryb..._lineatus_4.jpg

These are one of the most common species of killifish found in local aquarist shops up and down the country. They are a nice fish when young but when they mature they can become quite boisterious and predatory (large specimens are not recommended for a community aquarium). They can grow to a length of 10cms (4") (slightly smaller under aquarium conditions) and have a large mouth. In time he (I presume it's a male) will make short work of smaller fish in your aquarium. I suggest you move him to a species tank, size of 18"x12"x12" and supply him with some female company. This is an interesting and very easy killifish to breed.
Regards
BigC

Ya hes a Aplocheilus Lineatus. Im not sure if hes a he or a she. What the difference between a male and a female?

Males are more larger and more aggressive.

Most reactions

Back