Me Again :)

puppyjess123

Doing first planted tank :)
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Eastbourne, East-sussex, UK
Basically would I be able to keep either pearls or gold gouramis with my opaline ones. And which one is a better choice?
Tank mates -
4 zebrafish
5 neons
2 swordtails
5 platies
2 plecos
6 corys
2 gouramis
Been set up for over a year
4 foot by something :crazy:

Dats about it Thanks :good:
 
Pearls are a lot more peaceful than Gold and I much prefer the Pearls markings.
 
If it's calm and placid you're after, then definitely go for the Pearls!
 
I had read all about gold gouramis being super mean fish but i took a chance and got one for my 65G with rainbow fish and black skirt tetras among other small fish.

The only time she was ever mean is when the others would bite her long stringy things that hang down off her stomach when she was new to the tank. She would just nip a bit at them and chase them away then go about her business. She would never start anything but she sure knew how to defend herself.

Since then I got rid of the 65G and shes in a temperary 10G with small white cloud minnows who she gets along with fine and has never from what I've seen charged at them or bit them even in such a small tank.

She is a real pleasure to watch as well with a great personality and markings. She is one of my favourite fishes.

I would suggest you get a female if at all possible as they are known to be more relaxed than males.

Also to add they are EXTREMELY hardy little fishes. I had a really bad round of Columinaris in the 65G that killed off everyone(25 fish) My gourami and pleco came out without a single spek of Columinaris and are still going strong.
 
Hi puppyjess123 :)

If one of your gouramis is a territorial male, you could have problems whichever one you get. One of the most aggressive fish I ever had was a beautiful pearl gourami. He would even chase the corys.
 
Well I will try and if things don't work I will take the back. I have one male opaline and one female. The male is a right woos though he's always hiding and running from the female - girl power

Lucy
 
It should work fine since your tank is fairly large. Just make sure you have lots of hiding places which they love and plant cover. And of course, closly moniter them for a while to see how they all get on and no ones being a bully.

Im not sure about centerpeice fish but maybe some Rainbow fish would be nice? Bosemani would be the most popular ones I belive. They display some awesome colors especially when they are feeling frisky which mine always were. Very active fish who interact alot with eachother.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top