Mating or something else?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, is this mating behaviour?

As you can see both the calico and yellow one are chasing the orange one. They seem to sorta be up in its face as if they're trying to kiss all over its face or something, too... In an annoying way. 😐 not sure how concerned I should be. Am googling but can't find much certain info.

I'm not as well researched because the orange one was an urgent rescue (from a small jar being given away) and the other two were bought as companions for what was meant to be a temporary stay until rehomed to a pond. Hence learning as I go rather than being prepared.

I have recently found them a huge 4000 gallon pond to be rehomed in spring to! Hooray for that!

However, just started seeing this chasing days ago and am concerned if the orange needs separating?

I cannot see many differences between them except orange one being a bit larger, not necessarily rounder. Anal opening looks outward on all of them. I thought they were all the same sex, male.

Perhaps they're just chasing each other due to lack of females as I've read?

I'm now trying to search if indoor fish have a particular breeding season as I've not seen them doing this before.

Please help if you have plenty of experience to share insight onto whether this is mating behaviour, and if there's anything I should do, I can separate if needed but the rescue orange one was pretty sad when I first had her and was much happier when companions were added in.... So not sure what the plan would be if I separated then looked for specific same sex goldfish to keep with it.. I mean.. Considering they're all going in two months... What's the best course of action here lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back