male or female

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure of the genders here, the first 4 pics are of the same fish (loves the camera so probably a girlie) and the final pic is the second fish (very camera shy so probably a male :p ) Anyway please sex my fish :*)

Piccy 1:

Attachments

• krib1.gif
    krib1.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 80
and the only pic I could get of the second fish:

Attachments

• krib5.gif
    krib5.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 85
Hi Thomas,

Not 100% sure but it looks like you could possibly have two males as the colour goes to the end of the dorsal fin on noth of them.

Here is some info I found on sexing Kribs:

The males are somewhat longer and thinner (3-4") than the females (2.5-3.5"), which are more rotund with a purple/red coloring around the belly. The male may also sport a coloring, usually less radiant than the female's, however, if healthy and happy, the male can be just as colorful as the female.

Dorsal Fin: The male Kribensis will have a pointed dorsal fin with color extending to the tip. The female will have a rounded dorsal fin, almost always with NO color extending to the tip. It is not uncommon to see one or two black spots at the end of the dorsal on the female and male.

Caudal Fin: The male has a pointed (diamond shaped) caudal fin, possibly with one or more black spots or 'eyes' on the top segment closest to the fleshy part of the fin. The female has, once again, a more rounded caudal fin.

Pelvic and Ventral Fin: The male has thinner, more sickle shaped ventral fins (think of an angel Pterophyllum Scalare), while the female's ventral fins are more rounded and paddle-like, with a little more color on the pelvic fins and pelvic region.

Below is a pic of my Kribs - the male is the top one.

Hope this helps, Eddie

Attachments

• kribs.jpg
    kribs.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 70
I think..well I am almost certian that the first pic is a female, but I can't see the tail properly, here is the rule I go by: the females have round tails and the males have pointed tails, well thats in most cases.

males usually have longer flowing finnage than the females. only sure way is to vent the fish to be certain though.

maggie

i had a lot of trouble finding males, and spent a lot of time in many LFS with my face pressed up against many a krib tank.

I'd say both females.

venting is wheere you turn the fish over and look at the underside of it. there are two holes. one is the anus and the other is where the eggs or sperm comes from. in the males the second hole is smaller and in the female the hole is larger amd more oval shaped. venting is an art and takes lots of patience and good eyesight :blink: to do. both of which i lack! :p cichlidmaster is the expert at venting.

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back