Male Or Female Ram?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hi I have been reading up for a while on rams and I got my first gold one about 2 weeks ago. Because of his colour I assumed he is male. I saw some in the tank with the pink abdomen which I presumed were female. Now I am not too sure since the spiky bit on his dorsal fin is short. He is only young and I will be getting another on friday just wanted to confirm if he is indeed male. Thanks

2130eaf4-8a72-4ba3-a7d9-b266f560e265_zpsdd405696.jpg

His body sometimes changes to green depending on the light.
0aa5b9a6-3d79-42a0-9c28-b71370756df4_zpsef5a30ba.jpg

Thanks again :)

Some reading suggests that there could be a couple of ways to tell...

Pink belly, female. No pink belly male.

Males have a sharp ended posterior dorsal fin while the female has a rounded rear dorsal.

Is that the same as you've already read?

He's not got a pink belly and hasn't got a rounded rear dorsal!  But look at the spiky dorsal fin at the front isn't it meant to be long for a boy?
I put it on another site and they suggested I get another 3 and see if they pair off. 

looks like a male to me. i have the same breed of fish as this and the pictures are exactly what my male looks like.

Here you go, Male and Female :)

Looks sort of in-between my pair. My female has a small pink belly and my male doesn't but my male is a lot more colourful and has a longer spike on his dorsal fin than yours :/

Male.
DSCF3484_zps576b610d.jpg

DSCF3483_zpse7845aa8.jpg

(Ignore the bit of dirt he has on his dorsal, he swam under the wood and it caught but he got it off later)

Female.
DSCF3494_zpsbe1e1454.jpg

DSCF3569_zpsd814366d.jpg

I'm going to guess at young male :)

I think his 2nd & 3rd dorsal spikey bits do seem a bit more pronounced. Maybe it becomes more obvious as he matures.

Thanks for the responses folks!
Paradise-he's only young, not even 2 inches long yet. I am hoping he will get more colour as he matures! Female for him on friday! I did see the females they looked smaller and pink bellies lol. I hope they have some when I go back, he's acting like a cory following them about!

Ny82 said:
Thanks for the responses folks!
Paradise-he's only young, not even 2 inches long yet. I am hoping he will get more colour as he matures! Female for him on friday! I did see the females they looked smaller and pink bellies lol. I hope they have some when I go back, he's acting like a cory following them about!

This pair isn't even 2 inches yet lol.

Lol they are just babies! the pic I took for my sig was in the old tank and he had coloured up well, might just take some getting used to this new tank. 

Ny82 said:
Lol they are just babies! the pic I took for my sig was in the old tank and he had coloured up well, might just take some getting used to this new tank. 

Yeah, he's a male if it's the same one as in your sig :) Yeah my pair are still young but coloured up nicely and have even bred but ate the eggs both times unfortunately.

Paradise3 said:

Yeah, he's a male if it's the same one as in your sig
smile.png
Yeah my pair are still young but coloured up nicely and have even bred but ate the eggs both times unfortunately.

Paradise3 said:

smile.png
Yeah my pair are still young but coloured up nicely and have even bred but ate the eggs both times unfortunately.

Yeah I just have 1 male ram in my tank with my cories. He was having a great delicacy earlier. I thought he had fungal infection in his mouth until I noticed all the cory eggs on the tank walls and plants! Nom Nom

Ny82 said:

smile.png

Yeah I just have 1 male ram in my tank with my cories. He was having a great delicacy earlier. I thought he had fungal infection in his mouth until I noticed all the cory eggs on the tank walls and plants! Nom Nom

Ah, OK lol. I thought you had your male in your sig and had got a new one and were asking if you'd bought male or female lol. 

No lol it's when I saw the short front spiky bit I was in 2 minds, but no pink belly so we are all man! :p

Ny82 said:
No lol it's when I saw the short front spiky bit I was in 2 minds, but no pink belly so we are all man!
tongue2.gif

Yep, all male :)

the whole pink belly thing only applies to GBR's not golds and even then it's hit and miss unless you're dealing with wilds....

Ben

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back