Malawi Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi mark4hay
It would be fine to add 5-6 fish for starters, just make sure you have plenty of hiding places(between the rocks or stones) and when you come to add more fish re-arrange the rocks, stones or whatever you have so that your first lot of fish dont have an established bit of territory in the tank, this will reduce the chances of the new fish getting bullied

Hi mark4hay
These fish are juvenile red zebras they will grow to about 6 inches in size

Hi mark4hay
If you just want a mixture of malawis and are not looking to breeding any fry etc then you could have yellow labs which would enhance the colours in your tank and perhaps salousi or socofoli which would add some bright blue colours, it really depends on your own tastes.
If you are thinking long term about perhaps raising fry then the likes of red zebras and yellow labs in the same tank is not a good choice as they will cross breed with one another as will some other similar types of malawis.

Hi mark4hay
If you just want a mixture of malawis and are not looking to breeding any fry etc then you could have yellow labs which would enhance the colours in your tank and perhaps salousi or socofoli which would add some bright blue colours, it really depends on your own tastes.
If you are thinking long term about perhaps raising fry then the likes of red zebras and yellow labs in the same tank is not a good choice as they will cross breed with one another as will some other similar types of malawis.

im not really looking at breeding so dont really have to worry about that is the one with red eyes a red zebra as well?

I have some photos of my fish which is a mix of Malawi, mbuna and haps. You`re welcome to have a look at the different types and colours to give you some idea:
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/Elisew/Malawi%20380L%20tank/

I have some photos of my fish which is a mix of Malawi, mbuna and haps. You`re welcome to have a look at the different types and colours to give you some idea:
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/Elisew/Malawi%20380L%20tank/

thanks :) I will look through them and see what I like could I really fit 20 fish in my tank even with the red zebras and what I think are blue zebras ?

I think you could well have 20 ish of the mbuna but I don`t personally think 20 of the peacocks would be suitable because they get too big but that`s just my thoughts :/

You may even be able to have approx 14 of the mbuna i.e elongatus mpanga, neon spot, ndumbi redtop, socolofi etc with some yellow labs and maybe some sort of 1m Aulonocara male and 2 female Aulonocara :unsure:

I think you could well have 20 ish of the mbuna but I don`t personally think 20 of the peacocks would be suitable because they get too big but that`s just my thoughts :/

You may even be able to have approx 14 of the mbuna i.e elongatus mpanga, neon spot, ndumbi redtop, socolofi etc with some yellow labs and maybe some sort of 1m Aulonocara male and 2 female Aulonocara :unsure:

are red zebras and blue zebras mbuna? and could you have a look at my other post see if they are blue zebra ?

The red and blue zebras are of the same genus, pseudotropheus/mbuna I believe. It's not recommended that you keep many of the same genus together especially if they're very similar in shape or colour. Cross breeding is prolific between many of the mbuna and the hybrids are difficult to sell, rehome or pass onto shops so you have to consider what you would do with hybrid fry?

Instead of being tunnel visioned on just the zebras, why not have a good read on the net of the different mbuna, different types and colours would be much better and would also look better too :good:

Info on zebras:
http://www.allcichlids.com/lake_malawi/metriaclima_estherae_red_zebra_cichlid__2.html

The red and blue zebras are of the same genus, pseudotropheus/mbuna I believe. It's not recommended that you keep many of the same genus together especially if they're very similar in shape or colour. Cross breeding is prolific between many of the mbuna and the hybrids are difficult to sell, rehome or pass onto shops so you have to consider what you would do with hybrid fry?

Instead of being tunnel visioned on just the zebras, why not have a good read on the net of the different mbuna, different types and colours would be much better and would also look better too :good:

Info on zebras:
http://www.allcichlids.com/lake_malawi/metriaclima_estherae_red_zebra_cichlid__2.html

thanks i already have the 3 red zebras and 3 blue zebras that's why I keep asking about them and asking what to put with them I really like the socolofi as well

i like the Fuelleborni Cichlid, Frieberg Cichlid, Rusty Cichlid, Zebra Obliquidens, Red Top Trawavasae, Red Peacock Cichlid can anyone help with stocking any of them with the 3 red zebras and 3 blue zebras i already have? Tank size 100 x 40 x 55 cm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back