Making Up For Attrition

Craster

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Have lost quite a few fish over the last couple of months, disappointingly. One treatment-resistant widespread whitespot outbreak and a few other losses. What that means is that I've got quite a mismatch of fish, not in ideal grouping numbers. I'd like to bring some up to better numbers so they are happier, but can't really do the lot.

The tank is a 180litre bowfront, planted, with a pea gravel substrate. Water stats are all good, temp is kept at 26C, pH 7.5

Currently the tank holds:

4 Neon Tetra
4 Zebra Danio
1 Pair Honey Gouramis
1 Pair Apistos
1 Male (I think) Blue Ram
1 Bosemani Rainbow
1 Giant Cameroon Armoured Shrimp
2 Cherry Shrimp
6 Amano Shrimp

I don't particularly want to top up the neons or the Danios, because they don't seem particularly well settled, and they're not particularly interesting fish to keep, in my view.

Thoughts? Thanks.
 
I should add that I will definitely add another female apisto (would two more be better?) to give the one that's there a break.

Thanks.
 
agree with the addition of another apisto female.

Maybe you could return your neons to the LFS, as they are happier in a larger group, and get a discount on an apisto female.

I think cherry shrimp are more efficient in doing their algae job when they are in larger groups as they are more mobile. maybe add some cherries.
 
Currently the tank holds:

4 Neon Tetra GET RID (LFS OR EBAY)
4 Zebra Danio GET RID (LFS OR EBAY)
1 Pair Honey Gouramis
1 Pair Apistos 2 MORE FEMALES
1 Male (I think) Blue Ram 2 FEMALES
1 Bosemani Rainbow GET 2 MORE, MAKE A TRIO
1 Giant Cameroon Armoured Shrimp
2 Cherry Shrimp ADD A FEW MORE
6 Amano Shrimp
 
That pretty much fits in with what I was thinking, thanks both of you.

One thing though - don't rams pair, rather than form a harem?
 
Boesemani rainbows need to be in a group of 6 or better. Keeping one singly isn't a good idea.

To add: You can mix the rainbow species in a male only tank. You already have a M. Boesemani, so add say 1 M. Praecox (Dwarf neon rainbowfish), 1 M. Lacustris (Lake Kubutu and turquoise rainbowfish), 1 M. Parkinsoni (Yellow rainbowfish) and G. Pseudoincisus (Millenium rianbowfish.) Or you could just do all M. Boesemani in the tank.
 
hang on, before you add more fish shouldnt we be telling this person to find out why the fish are dying, not helping him/her choose more. i suggest you do this.

come on guys, i mean seriously
 
hang on, before you add more fish shouldnt we be telling this person to find out why the fish are dying, not helping him/her choose more. i suggest you do this.

come on guys, i mean seriously

I did say it was a large whitespot outbreak that was very difficult to treat (especially as the shrimp rule out half the medication out there) - and that after getting the tank clear I have kept it stable for a good month to ensure that the rest of the tank is OK.
 
diseases can stay 'stagnant' in a fish for over a month so tbh id wait a bit longer, i mean whitespot is not one of those but the stress the fish have gone through after having the disease may mean they have another. but be careful what you add and whre you get them from.
 
diseases can stay 'stagnant' in a fish for over a month so tbh id wait a bit longer

Makes sense, thanks.

I don't intend to get any more before the new year, but I like planning (and I don't particularly want to leave the rainbow and ram on their own for too long...)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top