Love Gouramis - Have Some Qustions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cnk

Reaction score
HI, I am new to the forum. My main reason for coming here is to learn more about gouramis. I have lost 3 already in my tank. I have had the tank for 5 months. I knew nothing about them and have already learned lots from the forum.

I have two currently a honey (three spot i think) and a red dwarf. I have just lost a blue dwarf yesterday. So I understand that having 3 is good. I have to learn how to tell their sex apart because the LFS didn't mentions anything about that. The yellow is bigger and was aggrasive when the red and blue ones were brought into the tank but relaxed. I am going to monitor the two to see if there are any changes now that there is only two. I recently added fish to the tank about 4 days ago... would this be a stresser I think the blue died from fish tb also a two year old was lurking around my house an turned off the power bar to the tank the day befor i noticed the sick blue gourami. the tank may have been off for 2 hrs or 15 mins no one knows could this also have been the deadly stressor?

Should I look into buying more?
Can you explain why quarintine is necessay?
how do you tell sexes apart?

Okay so It seems that the honey gourami is hanging around the fire one alittle more. The fire one has some slight indentations around her face, is this the start of something? should this fish be quarentined? Indentations are still red. :unsure:

ok I don't know much about the honey gourami only the dwarfs and you should not keep 2 male dwarfs in the same tank as they will be aggressive tyowards each other if there isn't enough room. Not sure if that goes the same with the honey and dwarf.

The way to tell dwarfs sex is the males are brightly coloured with reds or blues. Females tend to be a dull silvery sort of colour.

I don't think you should buy anymore of them if they are being aggressive towards each other and you should maybe consider taking one back.

What size tank do you have? Is it cycled?

Most reactions

Back