Looking for best plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to plant a tall (for 10 gallon tank) plant that will NOT take over the aquarium. What would be my best bet? Something for a beginner, please!

ALSO: Are there any floaters that do NOT need a quiet surface? I've killed my duckweed and red roots POSSIBLY because of lack of light due to my tank lid but also even when I took the milky plastic piece off they didn't fare well. Would love some floaters but have a (slow flow) HOB. I know, I know, ,sponge filters are great especially for betta and shrimp but the bubbles drive me up a wall and the hum of the air source does as well. I have chronic migraine so yeah...

I want to plant a tall (for 10 gallon tank) plant that will NOT take over the aquarium. What would be my best bet? Something for a beginner, please!

ALSO: Are there any floaters that do NOT need a quiet surface? I've killed my duckweed and red roots POSSIBLY because of lack of light due to my tank lid but also even when I took the milky plastic piece off they didn't fare well. Would love some floaters but have a (slow flow) HOB. I know, I know, ,sponge filters are great especially for betta and shrimp but the bubbles drive me up a wall and the hum of the air source does as well. I have chronic migraine so yeah...
Something like amazon swords might do well. And anubias are beautiful and hard to kill... Survived my cycling tank where ammonia levels got high....

There are not many floaters that like high flow and most wouldnt survive. BUT, you could try guppy grass (not sure how well it'll do but its worth a shot).
(By the way bettas dont like high flow either. Just thought I should mention. It can be stressful.)

Hello metro...

Some easy bottom plants are Anubias and Java Fern. Anacharis, Hornwort and Dwarf Water Lettuce will work for the surface.

10 Tanks

Something like amazon swords might do well. And anubias are beautiful and hard to kill... Survived my cycling tank where ammonia levels got high....

There are not many floaters that like high flow and most wouldnt survive. BUT, you could try guppy grass (not sure how well it'll do but its worth a shot).
(By the way bettas dont like high flow either. Just thought I should mention. It can be stressful.)
Thanks for plant tips. I know bettas don't. I have one that has a flow control and it's on its lowest... I also have a baffle which helps. But the floaters were just all over the place. Bub seems to do okay. He actually hangs out under the flow sometimes... or under the baffle. I also have a tab under the one plant in there so easy to put in another

Last edited:
I am not sure why, but in my opinion as long as you secure the head of the water lettuce, the roots can be moved by the current.
the water lettuce near my very powerful filter gets blasted with water and it seems to be doing very well.

Thanks for plant tips. I know bettas don't. I have one that has a flow control and it's on its lowest... I also have a baffle which helps. But the floaters were just all over the place. Bub seems to do okay. He actually hangs out under the flow sometimes... or under the baffle.
You could get a floating plant guard off Etsy to use... I want to get one sometime in the future... Way in the future probably lol

Hello metro...

Some easy bottom plants are Anubias and Java Fern. Anacharis, Hornwort and Dwarf Water Lettuce will work for the surface.

10 Tanks
I really don't ones that are going to keep expanding like anubias and java fern. I want it in one spot. I suppose I could get a pot... java fern won't work for that but maybe anubias? I actually HAVE some variety of anubias already. Are they planter safe?

I really don't ones that are going to keep expanding like anubias and java fern. I want it in one spot. I suppose I could get a pot... java fern won't work for that but maybe anubias? I actually HAVE some variety of anubias already. Are they planter safe?
Hi metro. Both Anubias and Java Fern will grow in a pot. This will slow their growth and keep them in place if this is what you want.

10 Tanks

Hi metro. Both Anubias and Java Fern will grow in a pot. This will slow their growth and keep them in place if this is what you want.

10 Tanks
Just be mindful of the rhizome for both these plants. The roots can be buried but not the rhizome.

Water Sprite. You mention your tank lid blocks light. Are you talking about light from your room or window or an overhead aquarium light?

Water Sprite. You mention your tank lid blocks light. Are you talking about light from your room or window or an overhead aquarium light?
The overhead aquarium light. I'm going to try and buy a new tank lid this month that is all glass. Thanks for the suggestion!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back