Look At All These Plants I Found At My Local Pond!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all I live in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois, USA. Today I went out to a local pond/lake to go fishing. I caught some fish, (here is a picture of a  nice sized crappie)

And I could also see some plants, and they looked like aquarium plants.

I saw lots of stem plants, and I think I could see some other plants like cryptocornes. I  took some of the plants out and brought them home. I think one of them is either cabomba or rotala wallichii. These plants are gorgeous! I didn't want to disrupt nature too well so I just grabbed what was floating or what was not rooted. Here are some of the plants:

Can I get ID's? There are 2 different plants here. (3 if you would say the red plant is a different species)

What species is the ruffley one?

http://imgur.com/a/OyL8i

You will not find most true "tropical" plant species (crypts, cabomba) naturally in watercourses around Chicago as the winters would kill them.  But there are temperate species, sometimes in the same families but often different.  I am not up on temperate plant species.

There are two issues to be careful of with native plants.  One is introducing pathogens to the aquarium from the local environment; these may be deadly to tropical plants, sometimes even the fish, as plants and fish are generally able to deal with pathogens they encounter in their habitat but not different pathogens from other habitats (this wsorks both ways, which is why one must never release aquarium fish or plants to the natural environment.  The second issue is that temperate plant species tend not to do well at permanent tropical temperatures and may disintegrate and completely die without a "winter" period.

Byron.

Byron has covered most of what can be possible to occur in your fish tank.

One more thing he has not mentioned, is the possibility of egg laying creatures such as dragonflies and damselflies, which do commonly lay their eggs on plants under the water, and the larvae develops and grows under water until they reach adulthood.

You do not want damselfy nymphs or drangfly nymphs in your tank, beleive me, I have had damselfly nypmhs and they are pure predatory insects that will happily eat all of your shrimps, inverts and small fish.

So be careful and be on the lookout for any eggs at all on plants if you do introduce these plants to your tank,

I had already put them in my tank. I'll go dispose of the plants now.

:'(

Ah, hopefully all will be ok.

This being one classic reason why we ask advice and to seek out knowledge on this forum is to learn ;)

The first one I am not too sure about perhaps milfoil the second is curly leaved pond weed as I have this in my pond here in the Uk.

I have the first plant.and they grow very good outside.A man took it from a river in my city last month.they're growing new leaf now
But how a plant in asia can appear in Chicago?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back