Lizards - A Little Advice On Where To Start.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
not that im getting bored of fish or anything but i was thinking of converting one of my tanks to house a lizard/s.

it would be either my 55 gallon tank or 80 gallon aquarium (for suggesting lizards later :nod: ) and thats about as far as ive got in the planning stage lol.

My sister and her boyfriend had a bearded dragon and another little lizard and ive always liked them so i thought id see if it was feasible and maybe get a new scales friend?

i like bearded dragons but are these a good lizard to get and could i house one comforably in either of those tanks?

what else do i need?

or even some links to lizard forums or something would be great :D

thanx in advance!!

I had two leopard geckos before my fish. They are lovely little things and are quite easy to handle if you are careful. I found loads of useful info on this forum http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/

I keep my beardies in 4x2x2 vivs they are great lizards but the problem with a glass tank is the heating of it.Beardies need a basking area of aroung 105-110 deg
oops forgot best forum www.livefoods.co.uk

you would need a basking spot a dimming thermostat for the heating then you would need a UV tube and starter

thanx for all the advice so far guys!

graham, is it best to get one of the mesh vis ive seen?

thats what my sisters was kept in.

couple of questions i cant find the answers too.

do they smell?

and how big does the viv hav to be for a second beardie or what other tank mates can you have?

The best vivs for beardies are wooden ones with glass sliding doors.I wouldnt advise keeping beardies in the mesh vivs
you could keep 1 or a pair in a viv that size.If you dont keep on top of the spot cleaning they can smell but i pick everything up straight away.

If you have a look on livefoods forum we have a lizard section and a lot of us keep beardies

great forum place is repticzone.com as this has 3 bearded dragon forums

I dont suggest a mesh viv.. I also dont suggest any type of fish aquarium as beardies need floor space. A 40 gallon BREEDER tank is minimum size, but a 4x2x2 is suggested, for ONE beardie, as housing two together can result in losts toes, tails and other damage, even two females, and never house a male and female unless your a breeder, because I will tell you that a clutch of eggs will probably cost you around $1,000 to care for.

Maybe a gecko of some type would be better. Repticzone has a forum for pretty much any species of collective herp..

Beardies when young will cost you the most on food and such, I dont know if cost is a big issue for you or anything, its just an FYI

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back