Live Food, And How To Make It Last...

Eclecticoldsod

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
fringe of Windsor Great Park
I have a number of tanks, containing greatly differing stuff. I feed my lot dry food every morning, a mixture of flake, pellets, and vegetables prepared the night before for 'lights up' at breakfast time. Every afternoon, they get some live food. Sometimes, if I am feeling generous, they just might get some frozen stuff in the evening. Nothing lasts much more than a brief 20 second feeding frenzy. (Never known a fish to die from LACK of food – quite the reverse..!)

My LFS gets the tubes of live food in on a Thursday. I buy one of each to last the week – tubifex, glass worms, blood worms, daphnia, and brine shrimp. (I never add the water they come in to any tank..!)
Thursday is brine shrimp day. I sieve out the big ones for the big guys, through large mesh, and then re-sieve the small ones for little gobs, through fine mesh.
Everything else goes into a glued-together leaning-tower-of-plastic prawn-cocktail tubs, from my local supermarket (I ate the prawn-cocktail first...) Daphnia at the top, then glass worms, then blood worms, with tubifex at the bottom. The whole lot goes under the cold water tap in the bathroom sink – set to about a dozen drips a minute. Each tub drips into the one below, supplying fresh, cold water to keep everything alive and healthy. Try it and see...
 
Nice work, I like the seperate container/tower idea.
The way I do it is
I syphon water (6mm airline) from the toilet cistern out the overflow pipe and down the back of the downpipe and keep my tubifex in a shallow bucket tilted over the drain. (outside)
Regards
BigC
 
Nice work, I like the seperate container/tower idea.
The way I do it is
I syphon water (6mm airline) from the toilet cistern out the overflow pipe and down the back of the downpipe and keep my tubifex in a shallow bucket tilted over the drain. (outside)
Regards
BigC


You keep worms in your toilet?
 
I know a guy who runs his ro waste through a series of tubs with overflows, full of blackworms.
 
There is a place you can get them buy they are expensive, so really to have to 'grow' them yourself and they don't double that quickly. (once per month I have read)

I buy the same live food as you Eclecticoldsod and get through 15 bags per week. They are all gone by monday/tuesday.

When it get a bit warmer I will set up a daphnia breeing tub outside. An earthworm farm is a very cheap way to get quality live food.
 
You keep worms in your toilet?
NO definately not..
The airline syphons water from the toilet cistern... down the overflow pipe and outside...
Regards
BigC
 
There is a place you can get them buy they are expensive, so really to have to 'grow' them yourself and they don't double that quickly. (once per month I have read)

I buy the same live food as you Eclecticoldsod and get through 15 bags per week. They are all gone by monday/tuesday.

When it get a bit warmer I will set up a daphnia breeing tub outside. An earthworm farm is a very cheap way to get quality live food.

Hi, Blue Acara.
You are probably more up to date than me, and clearly need more food than I do. I have only come back to fish-keeping after 30 years, but I will add what I once knew from the dim and distant past...
1...Always collect your rainwater off the roof, into a wooden or plastic rain butt.
2...Do not keep a lid on it – as a fish keeper, you will wish to scoop mosquito larva from the surface – your neighbours may not be so keen on the idea (as you will miss many of 'em at hatching time..)
3...The out-flow should lead (very gently) down a dozen or so feet of rock- and mud-filled guttering in which tubiflex worms will live and breed happily.
4...To a shallow tub of mud (in which you can try bloodworms – but will probably only get even more tubiflex...
5...Dripping into a shallow (at least five foot wide), muddy-bottomed pond for Daphnia. This needs to be in warm sunlight and, I seem to remember, a trace of blood always made it thrive best!

Worms must be chosen carefully. The red stripy (brandlings) found in compost heaps are always distasteful – avoid these! The soft pink ones found under almost every big rock in the garden are the ones to go for – the smaller the better. If you have to chop up a worm, you have chosen the wrong size of worm for the size of fish..!

Sorry for sounding like a sad old sod, but I am a sad old sod! Got me first tank in 1957 – and I ain't learned nearly enough yet...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top