Live Brine Shrimp

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
475
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
A couple of weeks ago I bought some live brine shrimp from the lfs on impulse. I gave a few to each of my bettas and then tipped the rest into the main tank. I have never seen them eat so fast :hyper: They loved them, and seemed to enjoy having to chase them around.

They were particularly popular with my bettas, one of whom is a fussy eater usually. They were dashing around to catch them, and usually they are very lazy and just float around all day doing nothing :rolleyes:

I bought them again today, and again they loved it.

Question is, how often can I feed these to my fish? I was thinking every week or two as a treat, maybe alternated with some live daphnia or similar? Or would that be too much?

And if I bought several bags in one trip, how long would they last in the fridge?
 
I feed live foods only twice a week now, i never leave mine in fridge for more than a 5 days.
 
i only feed live or gama eradiated frozen.i mean its only fair,they wouldnt live on a diet of flake or dried food in nature.as long as its varied and not always the same food i dont see a problem with feeding this way all the time.
 
A couple of weeks ago I bought some live brine shrimp from the lfs on impulse. I gave a few to each of my bettas and then tipped the rest into the main tank. I have never seen them eat so fast :hyper: They loved them, and seemed to enjoy having to chase them around.

They were particularly popular with my bettas, one of whom is a fussy eater usually. They were dashing around to catch them, and usually they are very lazy and just float around all day doing nothing :rolleyes:

I bought them again today, and again they loved it.

Question is, how often can I feed these to my fish? I was thinking every week or two as a treat, maybe alternated with some live daphnia or similar? Or would that be too much?

And if I bought several bags in one trip, how long would they last in the fridge?


Are you pouring them into the tank>? If so that is bad for your fish! It is pure saltwater they live in!
 
I did that the first time, but afterwards I read on here about rinsing it. I rinsed it through a small net, picked out three shrimp for each betta, then put the rest of the netful into the main tank.

I don't seem to have killed anyone with the saltwater but I know better now :blush:
 
I gave my figure 8 some of these last nite for the first time and it was highly entertaining watching him dart about after them.
Haylea
 
i wouldnt give 3 days actually for live brine shirmp, even in the fridge. you could try getting frozen one though, works almost as good. however some fishes may ignore frozen once they've taken in live so you've to take note of that.
 
I find that brineshrimp stay alive for quite a while in the bags, a week probably. However over this time you will be losing the nutritional value contained in them. Try to buy the livefood on the day the shop gets them in(my lfs its thursday) and use fairly quickly, say within 3 days.

Live food is excellent for fish, I feed as much of it as I can afford to.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top