Little Organisms

Phage

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
So I have noticed these fast little buggers in my 20gal tank. I don't think they are in my 55. But what are they? They are small, brownish tank, looks likes they have two small feelers on the head, and a thin taillike thing, move pretty quick, are on the side of the glass and can swim in the water. Also, I think I see one planaria (slow, whitish, and long and thin). How do I get rid of them :sad: :unsure: are they of any harm to my fish?

Thanks

It is a semi planted tank, and I am having a diatom problem (I think its diatoms)
78F
api master test kit
ph 6.8-7.0, hard to tell
ammonia 0
no3 10
no2 0

one mystus leucophasis and lots of trumpet snails
 
So I have noticed these fast little buggers in my 20gal tank. I don't think they are in my 55. But what are they? They are small, brownish tank, looks likes they have two small feelers on the head, and a thin taillike thing, move pretty quick, are on the side of the glass and can swim in the water. Also, I think I see one planaria (slow, whitish, and long and thin). How do I get rid of them :sad: :unsure: are they of any harm to my fish?

Thanks

It is a semi planted tank, and I am having a diatom problem (I think its diatoms)
78F
api master test kit
ph 6.8-7.0, hard to tell
ammonia 0
no3 10
no2 0

one mystus leucophasis and lots of trumpet snails
Check this out, you might be able to identify the "fast little bugger."

EDIT:The planaria most likely came form the plants. How long have you had the tank? Usually your fish will eat the planaria. One thing you can do with freshly bought plants is give them a 10 minute salt water bath, prior to introducing the plants to the tank. This will kill off whatever organisms are on the plants.

-FHM
 
Cool beans, hmm. They look like cyclops and planaria. How do I get rid of them?
I don't think I over feed... I feed the catfish a 1/3 cube of bloodworms once a week.
 
Cool beans, hmm. They look like cyclops and planaria. How do I get rid of them?
I don't think I over feed... I feed the catfish a 1/3 cube of bloodworms once a week.
The fish in your tank should eat them up.

How long have you had plants in your tank?

-FHM
 
I don't think mystus leucophasis eats them.. ?? lol. Only have one fish there. I have to rehome it, waiting till its warm so I can take it to the lfs. Wish I could keep her :(
The plants came from my 55 but have been in the 20 for a month or two.
 
I don't think mystus leucophasis eats them.. ?? lol. Only have one fish there. I have to rehome it, waiting till its warm so I can take it to the lfs. Wish I could keep her :(
The plants came from my 55 but have been in the 20 for a month or two.
That is the only way I know how to get rid of them, is for fish to eat them. If you could, add some small fish like tetras or something that will eat them. I would not worry about it though, unless there are a lot of them, then it can be a little unsightly.

Just try to re-home your mystus leucopasis as soon as you can, and then put some smaller fish in the tank, and they will eat the organisms up.

you could try to use a gravel vac to get some out...but that may be a bit hard to do?

Someone else might have a better idea then me.

-FHM
 
Thank you for your help.
I tried to vac them but it's hard to get them all... Think zebra danios and white cloud minnows eat them? Or german blue ram?
 
Thank you for your help.
I tried to vac them but it's hard to get them all... Think zebra danios and white cloud minnows eat them? Or german blue ram?
Yeah, I am sure they would eat them.

Just make sure the fish are compatible with each other, as I do not know that.

-FHM
 
Ah, alright. I have them in my 55. I could move them to the 20 if I need to. They get along fine :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top