Liquid Carbon Ferts (Seachem Excel Vs Easy-Life Easycarbo)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KirkyArcher

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Have any of the members on here who have tried both of these products noticed any benefits of one over the other, other than the Easycarbo being approximately half the price, or is the Excel worth the extra expense?

I recently started with a batch of plain gluteraldehyde, even cheaper in the long run, but dangerous stuff to play with, so not for those who don't know what they're up to.

I haven't used both otherwise though, but am not aware of any difference.

I haven't used both, but I use easycarbo (alongside co2) with very good results.

Thanks DrRob, will steer clear of really dangerous stuff for the time being
smile.png

levahe that is my intention to use both Co2 and to dose liquid carbon just want to find out if Excel is super fabulous
tongue2.gif

I started using flourish and excel a few weeks ago because some of my plans began to look a little ropy. so far the only difference ive noticed is that my nitrate reading has gone up which has killed a good number of my nerite snails. not a happy camper. ive up'd my water change amount to 40% from 25%. and am syphoning the gravel every change but my readings just creep back up the day after. ive been dosing excel every day and flourish with every water change. I used to only have a nitrate reading of 10ppm. now its up to 40-50ppm. starting to piss me off to be honest. water change day tomorrow so im gonna leave the flourish out and see what happens.

bigcheed said:
I started using flourish and excel a few weeks ago because some of my plans began to look a little ropy. so far the only difference ive noticed is that my nitrate reading has gone up which has killed a good number of my nerite snails. not a happy camper. ive up'd my water change amount to 40% from 25%. and am syphoning the gravel every change but my readings just creep back up the day after. ive been dosing excel every day and flourish with every water change. I used to only have a nitrate reading of 10ppm. now its up to 40-50ppm. starting to Bad word removed me off to be honest. water change day tomorrow so im gonna leave the flourish out and see what happens.
That's strange, have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Seachem flourish contains only 0.07% nitrogen so that can't be the cause of the high nitrates. Also i doubt levels of 40-50 ppm nitrates would kill your snails?

Check out TNC Carbon (The Nutrient Company), it's good value for money. 

I've used Excel but my vallis suffered (vallis doesn't like liquid carbon at all) my theory was that Excel was more concentrated as it was fine when I switched to TNC however it could have been a total coincidence and my vallis had just adjusted to having carbon in the tank lol. 

my nitrate is 5ppm at the tap. and had been 10ppm in the tank for as long as I can remember. the only things that changed were the flourish and excel. my stocking has even decreased as I had to give away my rowdy dwarf gourami. all I know is that since I started using both products my nerites have died off one by one. found another red spotted one belly up this morning. all this aside my fish seem totally unaffected.

I have heard that shrimp don't like liquid carbon so perhaps it is the same for snails?  I am concerned because I want to add shrimp but I dose Easycarbo.

Liquid carbon is toxic to fish, inverts, algae and some plants(humans too) but whether it affects any and how much depends on the amount one doses and how sensitive the particular species are to it. As for difference between Excel and Easy Carbo, I haven't found much difference. I think they are quite close with Excel being very slightly more concentrated possibly.

Alm0stAwesome said:
I use liquid carbon with shrimp and didn't have a problem

What happened to the shrimp?
smile.png
 I think single/recommended dose is considered safe but personally I've got different experience. It may affect their breeding, amount of shrimplets surviving etc..., but many people report different things so it's hard to know the truth. Regardless, LC is a toxic substance.

Oh I've still got them, just don't really count them in my stocking for some reason 
blush.png

Yeah there is obviously something there as I've seen plenty of posts on it as well but at the same time know people who keep them and dose liquid carbon :dunno:

I have 5 amano shrimp in the same tank. they don't seem bothered at all.

I think it's the shrimplets people worry about more than anything else. Cherries and RCS's should be relatively self sustaining colonies and people have seen population drops offs with liquid carbon.

I'm planning to start up liquid carbon dosing in my shrimp tank, but at lower than normal levels. Assuming I can get the dosing pump sorted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back