Lighting - Starter Unit?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jb1997mcd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

After looking at all the possible lights and reading a lot of the information I may be more confused, or it is probably my ocd. My current tank has java moss and I plan on putting java in my new tank. I know it pretty much grows in most water conditions and any lighting. In my current tanks I just used the fluorescent bulb that came with the hood and things seem fine.

I will be attaching java moss to a bunch of drift wood and I am hoping to get it to grow quicker. My question is what bulb to get. Is there a bulb that can help the java moss grow quicker? I read it should be a daylight colored tube with a green spike in the spectrum, but when you look at lights online it is hard to tell that info. I am in the U.S so I am not sure if that limits or gives me more options.

I also had a question about this posting in the lighting section..” You’ll need a starter unit to go with each tube, make sure the wattage of the bulb you’re using is the same as the wattage on the started unit, using the wrong size starter unit can mean that a, it doesn’t work or b, it works for a while, then blows up and catches fire. So don’t try and save a few quid by getting a cheaper starter unit!!” Can someone help understand what a starter unit is?

Thanks,
jb

Hello all,

After looking at all the possible lights and reading a lot of the information I may be more confused, or it is probably my ocd. My current tank has java moss and I plan on putting java in my new tank. I know it pretty much grows in most water conditions and any lighting. In my current tanks I just used the fluorescent bulb that came with the hood and things seem fine.

I will be attaching java moss to a bunch of drift wood and I am hoping to get it to grow quicker. My question is what bulb to get. Is there a bulb that can help the java moss grow quicker? I read it should be a daylight colored tube with a green spike in the spectrum, but when you look at lights online it is hard to tell that info. I am in the U.S so I am not sure if that limits or gives me more options.

I also had a question about this posting in the lighting section..” You’ll need a starter unit to go with each tube, make sure the wattage of the bulb you’re using is the same as the wattage on the started unit, using the wrong size starter unit can mean that a, it doesn’t work or b, it works for a while, then blows up and catches fire. So don’t try and save a few quid by getting a cheaper starter unit!!” Can someone help understand what a starter unit is?

Thanks,
jb

The starter unit plugs into the light ballast. They normally white, about an inch long and cylindrical, with two small gold/bronze connections on one end. These will normally have a wattage on the outside. It will be a "range", ie 4-65w, meaning its safe to use with tubes from 4 watts to 65 watts.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

Never heard of that before, although I never investigated special lights for plant growth.

Thanks,
jb

Starter units where quite common in the old days of flourescent lighting. Modern "electronic" ballast units do not require them.

Tom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back