Light

cheerycherry

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I recently posted about the fact my lights are too bright so im wanting to tune it down a bit.It was suggested I keep one of my white lights and get a blue light to go with it.

Does anyone have this? does it tone the light down a bit and what does it look like?
 
it does but you can get from your pet shop a light adjuster which lets youturn your light power up and down
 
I recently posted about the fact my lights are too bright so im wanting to tune it down a bit.It was suggested I keep one of my white lights and get a blue light to go with it.

Does anyone have this? does it tone the light down a bit and what does it look like?
What type of lights do you have? I take it you don't have plants?
What I would do is get floating plants to block the light, they are really good for the water too, you'll notice your nitrate readings dropping way down.

it does but you can get from your pet shop a light adjuster which lets youturn your light power up and down
Never seen them in the shops, seen that type of thing florescent lighting on the web, though they were expensive and I'm not sure how reliable they are. Don't think it let you choose a brightness...just turned the tubes on gradually to stop fish getting a scare.

Can you? wow I didnt know that! are they easily avaliable?
There's a thread on this kind of dimming equipment here, of course, if you have regular incandescent bulbs then they are much easier to dim, but most aquariums don't.
 
Right now I have 2 x 38w on a juwel rio 300 its very bright and im going to have cichlids in there and obviously they dont like too bright a light.

So I only have plastic plants in there too,I thought most mbuna ripped plants so thats the reason I didnt want to go with floating plants.

From what ive seen the actinic light for my tank is going to be about £35-£40 :unsure:
 
That's T8 light unit then, not the 'high-lites' right? Personally I don't think that would be too bright for the fish, I wouldn't really worry about it.

I don't think adding a blue light would really make it less bright as far as the fish are concerned...it would just be more blue, might look quite cool though, give it that deep water look.

If you want to make it darker, you can get a reflector for the tubes and flip them round, I think you can get sleeves to go over the tube too.

Where is that price from? An actinic tube should be £10-£20 -_- .
 
Thats online from juwel Ive had a really hard time finding a lfs that stocks lights the size I need and yes its the T8.

You think the reflectors would be the best option then? Ill have to look into that this week.

Thanx!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top