Lfs Serious Problems Anyone?

Tuxyu3 said:
To give downright wrong information (whether deliberately or simply making it up as he goes along) is downright out of order. It would not be acceptable in any other industry (motor vehicle, computers, televisions, games consoles, cooking appliances are a few that i can think of off the top of my head) so why should it be acceptable for this one? 
I accept we should give some leeway as they need to make sales to survive but that is a little like pointing an OAP looking for a small car to drive to local bingo nights towards a Ferrari and telling them it would be just perfect, though at least it that case the car is not suffering from the deal.
I hate to swap over the discussions to cars as I do not agree with them trying to sell the wrong fish suited for her needs,

But yes the Ferrari would indeed suffer, the engines in those cars are not actually designed for city driving use, there is a reason they are called super cars. They are designed to be driven hard so that carbon deposits don't sit in the motor and ultimately lower the performance and of even hurt the car. That's also why Ferrari builds their motors to rev high.

Back to the fish though, as a consumer I would rather make a second trip knowing I'm not hurting another living creature over buying the wrong fish just to have it die and ultimately have to make a second trip in to get more fish therefore costing me more. LFS need to train their employees better and that's just the bottom line

That would be ideal, of course, but not likely to happen. I just don't understand how the industry got so screwed up. It's just not taken very seriously by anyone except those of us here who try to do best by our fish, not just look at the pretty little swimming things.

These poor slobs are just trying to pay their rent and hopefully get a raise in 6 months.

:eek: Slobs???!!! ..... or more to the point.... RAISE!!??? :eek: :p

TallTree01 said:
Smart AND modest TT?
Smart compared to most ( all ) ....
wink.png
Definitely modest then...

I don't believe in modesty. Its only one step behind self pity.

;)

MBOU said:
 These poor slobs are just trying to pay their rent and hopefully get a raise in 6 months.

:eek: Slobs???!!! ..... or more to the point.... RAISE!!??? :eek: :p
Shop work is one of the hardest and on occasion, most demeaning and underrespected jobs you can have, and the pay is generally terrible... I admire those that have the stamina to stick it out, and certainly wouldn't call them slobs.

Now, I get to sit on my comfy office chair all day, sometimes I work from home and don't even get dressed til halfway through the morning....

TallTree... If you tried to give me advice whole I was shopping, I wouldn't take it too well. Be careful when offering out advice that wasn't sought, you could get yourself in hot water!

@ sad guppy
I'm so scalded right now a little hot water wouldn't even burn me :D

sadguppy said:
TallTree... If you tried to give me advice whole I was shopping, I wouldn't take it too well. Be careful when offering out advice that wasn't sought, you could get yourself in hot water!

Surely it all depends on how the advice is being given? 
TallTree01 said:
@ sad guppy
I'm so scalded right now a little hot water wouldn't even burn me
biggrin.png
So you're actually saying you're thick skinned?

Lunar Jetman said:
 Surely it all depends on how the advice is being given? 
TallTree01 said:
@ sad guppyI'm so scalded right now a little hot water wouldn't even burn me :D
So you're actually saying you're thick skinned?
Like an onion.

< onion falls on head >
What's an onion?
Derp.
LJ, was using hyperbole to demonstrate how many times I've gotten into trouble for giving advice where none is needed. :)

Tuxyu3 said:
that is a little like pointing an OAP looking for a small car to drive to local bingo nights towards a Ferrari and telling them it would be just perfect, though at least it that case the car is not suffering from the deal.

i don't agree with that at all,

its not a salesmans job to tell you what kind of car you need, thats the customers job,

if i buy a car and find out after a few days driving that i dont really like the car, and the car is missing some key features that i like, i wouldn't blame the salesman or car dealership, i would blame myself for not doing enough research about the car before i purchased the car,

What about the salesman blatantly lying about the car to get you to buy it? It's not like you should or even can know every single car on the lots statistics.

Yeah this Hummer gets 50+mpg highway, totally safe for the environment. Then you drive it for a week and find out it only has 13mpg and you have to pay a ton more money in gas than you anticipated so you drive it off a cliff into the sea to get reimbursed by your car insurance for a new one and cause another BP oil spill that kills hundreds of shrimps and fish.

That's about the same as saying a bala shark only grows to be 3 inches. Because down the line your eventually going to have to pay a poopton of money to accommodate it's need for space.

It's the customer's duty to tell the salesperson their criteria, and the salesperson's duty to recommend items which fit those criteria. Or at least, that is how customers perceive the situation. And if the customer perceives that the salesperson has not recommended an item which fits their requirements, they will not want to go to the same salesperson again, as they have little faith in the salesperson's ability to match items to criteria.

So, you could argue that the saleperson's duty is to maximise the profit for the business owner, and you wouldn't be wrong. But, I ask you this:- which is a better strategy, long-term? (A) To sell an expensive item once. (B) To sell appropriate items on multiple occasions.

Answers on the back of a £5 note, please, to the usual address.

DreamertK said:
What about the salesman blatantly lying about the car to get you to buy it?

if i have done enough research about the car in advance (like i should have) then i would know the salesman is lying to me

the_lock_man said:
(A) To sell an expensive item once. (B) To sell appropriate items on multiple occasions.
you are not guaranteed that one of these will happen just because a potential customer enters your store,

neither of these would happen if a LFS employee talks somebody out of buying a fish,

the customer is just going to go to the next store,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back