leopard catfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jhd

Reaction score
I would like to get leopard catfish (like them a lot and need bottom dwellers for my 29g). Are they shy and need to be in group like brochis (emerald catfish)?
I would like to get 3 of them. Will that be enough or I will never see them at day time?
I heard that they are very active. At present I have there 6 angels. How will they get alone with corys? They needed to be separated from my 55g because they use to injure pearl gouramis. Will that happen to corys also?
BOUGHT THEM ALLREADY!!
now: how do I sex them? Planet catfish does not have picture of male and female.
I bought 3 corydoras julii and would like them to spawn one day.
They are about 1 inch long cute little buggers, busy digging through the sand.
Anybody can link me to some picks of male and female

PLEASE READ BELOW, THEY ARE SICK :sad:

Can you give a scientific name? There are a few species which share the common name of leopard catfish.

Corys will be fine with angels and need to be in small groups sp 3 is the minimum you should keep, treat them the same as any other corydoras.

Hello jhd :)

I agree with CFC, so I won't go into that. :nod:

What I want to do is give you a link that might prove helpful to you when you purchase your corys:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

If you look at C. leopardus, C. Julii and C. trilineatus you will find that they resemble each other. The leopard cory is C. leopardus.

The page on C trileneatus will explain the difference between it and the julii, which are often confused. :X

None of this is really inportant to their care but I thought you might like to be sure that what you want is what you are actually getting from your lfs. ;)

Does anybody know the link to some picks of male and female corydoras julii?
Bought 3 of them and do not know how to sex them.

Hi jhd :)

I just looked through my links, but do not see any that will be helpful to you in this matter.

Among corys the male and frmale cannot usually be determined by markings or color. The best way to tell is by body shape and size. If they are young, it may be impossible to tell at this time. This is why it is usually a good practice to buy 5 or 6 young ones, if you plan to breed them, and to pick some large and some small from the selection available. This way the odds are in your favor of getting some of each sex.

Look at your corys; if one is bigger or smaller than the others, chances are it is a male if it is smaller and a female if it is larger.

Usually, mature female corys will be wider and generally "chunkier" than the males who look more slender. If you have a group of mature corys, you will see the difference, but it is hard to describe it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful here, jhd. :look:

I liked them, I bought them, now I got a problem.
One of cory cats sits sometimes with his fins clamped. Than he goes to find food again. Why would he clamp fins?
The other is worse. It flashes against sand and rocks. His gill on the side he rubs is red and swollen, it really shows. Sometime I think that grid of sand is stuck in the gill since they filter sand through gills to find food.
Water is fine, no change. Couple of days ago I put fert in but since I noticed clamp fins I run carbon to take it out. Fert did not have phosphate. It should be out now (2 days), rubbing still going on.
No sign of anything on them, just swollen gil.
I know it is not much to work with but can anybody help?

Hi jhd :)

How are your corys doing? I hope better. Did you carefully vacume the bottom of the tank? Often this will help when corys have problems. It's always the very first thing to try because they live down where all the dirt collects and the water conditions are the worst. :/

My tank bottom is sand and it is spotless. I vacuum every week. And turn the sand over.
They seem ok, just occasional flash on the bottom, never on plants.
The 55g has ich so i am expecting that in 29g, where corys are, any time now.
I am treating with temperature, apparantly ich can not survive in temps over 86 deg. F. Need 2 weeks to keep them in that temp.
Oh well, we will go through it eventually. :-(

Most reactions

Back