Last Stage of Cycle!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

calbrown23

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone that helped with my cycling issues in my previous thread. Iā€™m on the final stage of my cycle! Just added dose 4 of ammonia and waiting 24 hours to test and see if we are ready to go! I have a question though,

Iā€™m away working from tomorrow for 4 days, my tank cycle should hopefully be done tomorrow. i wonā€™t be here to do the large water change straight away, or be able to add fish, will the tank need an ammonia feed whilst iā€™m away to keep bacteria active as thereā€™s no fish?

secondly, after the water change, should i clean/replace the filter sponges too? i will also be light vacuuming the gravel on the surface to remove gunk, iā€™m guessing this wonā€™t disturb too much BB?

thanks for your constant help on here guys much appreciated!

Once a tank is cycled, if you can't go fish shopping straight away, add enough ammonia to give 1 ppm every 2 or 3 days. And yes, do the big water change when you are ready to buy fish.

Never replace filter sponges until they literally go into holes or won't go back into shape after squeezing. They will last for years. If you replace them you'll throw away the bacteria you've just grown.
With a fishless cycle, the filter media should not get dirty so they shouldn't need washing yet. You can take a look inside the filter and unless they are covered in brown goo, don't wash them. If you do need to wash them, do it in gently water you take out of the tank when you do the water change. They'll never go back to new colour so don't scrub them hard to "get them looking like new".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back