Laptop Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Malawi MaD

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know this isnt the best place to ask but just curious to what some of you think'd best to do. My laptop seems to be getting really hot and its revving up when its only been on for 5Mins, is there anyway i can cool it down?

Get some compressed air mate, make sure the fans etc are not obstructed and give it a clean with the air.

Make sure that none of the vents on it are blocked by anything when you're using it (some of them have really annoyingly placed vents). Make sure that there's nothing hogging the processors that doesn't need to be, and if all else fails you could always open it up and clean all the dust out of it.

You're in the UK, the weather is hot so the machine will be running warmer than usual hence why the fans are on, but it's worthwhile checking that the ventilation ports aren't obstructed either.

Ok will try that thanks mate, No vents are blocked or anything im thinking of taking it apart and see if its got dust in there. Will this not damage the processor or motherboard with it been so hot?? The fans really revving up.

Thanks for the help guys :good:

Shouldn't do, the fans are there for a reason, to cool the machine down, if the machine gets too hot it will simply shut itself down. Best thing to do is place your laptop on a piece of wood with multiple holes drilled in it as it allows better ventilation than if it were on your lap.

Shouldn't do, the fans are there for a reason, to cool the machine down, if the machine gets too hot it will simply shut itself down. Best thing to do is place your laptop on a piece of wood with multiple holes drilled in it as it allows better ventilation than if it were on your lap.

Its sat on one of them USB fan thingys, dont think they do much though lol

Its sat on one of them USB fan thingys, dont think they do much though lol

The USB fans actually work pretty well, even if they don't seem too. I work at an office supply store in U.S. and we use them on older laptops that run constantly and also my brother did something and ALL of his cooling settings were turned off somehow, and the only thing to keep it alive while fixing the issue was the fans. =>

Hello,

FYI, Don't rely on onboard temperature monitoring  to safely shut down your laptop... If the sensors are measuring the CPU/GPU etc. then it is reasonably safe to assume that the rest of the machine is running hotter than it should. Heat is one of the biggest killers of electronics... the life of your equipment will be reduced by running it hot. Two examples immediately spring to mind, certain Netgear routers and certain HP laptops. The first suffers from marginal cooling at best, the second suffers from GPU and/or southbridge chip solder oxidation/stress fractures. This normally occurs for the affected models just after the warranty has expired...funny that!

Keep your fan exhaust vents clear!!

Bodge99.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back