King Tiger pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Moby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve recently added a L333 pleco to my tank.His is quite small in size at the moment.Been thinking about adding another.Has anyone had any experience keeping two together.
Thks.

i've heard that plecos are territorial so that might not be a good idea

The answer depends on two things, the size of the tank and then the sex of the fish. Males are territorial, so the more you might have, the more area you need. Females are less so but with multiples they will establish a pecking order as will the males.

Without knowing the footprint of your tank nor the other species which might inhabit the bottom, it is difficult to answer your question.

What I can tell you is males want to have their own cave the closer they get to sexual maturity. Females will use a cave on a temporary basis, but they normally do not lay claim to one.

Your pleco is an Hypancistrus and these will readily breed in most aquariums given the proper conditions and diet. You can find decent info on L333 here https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1024

I kept a pair of 333 before I become involved with spawning Hypancistrus. I never had them spawn. And I sold them to make room for zebras. I took this pic shortly before they were shipped out.

i-MJr8BbP-M.jpg

The answer depends on two things, the size of the tank and then the sex of the fish. Males are territorial, so the more you might have, the more area you need. Females are less so but with multiples they will establish a pecking order as will the males.

Without knowing the footprint of your tank nor the other species which might inhabit the bottom, it is difficult to answer your question.

What I can tell you is males want to have their own cave the closer they get to sexual maturity. Females will use a cave on a temporary basis, but they normally do not lay claim to one.

Your pleco is an Hypancistrus and these will readily breed in most aquariums given the proper conditions and diet. You can find decent info on L333 here https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1024

I kept a pair of 333 before I become involved with spawning Hypancistrus. I never had them spawn. And I sold them to make room for zebras. I took this pic shortly before they were shipped out.

i-MJr8BbP-M.jpg
The one Iā€™ve got is only 2-3 cm baby.The new one Iā€™ve been offered is the same size.Being so young my problem is trying to sex them.
Thks.

Almost impossible I know. In fac,t despite the fact that I breed or have bred 7 species of plecos (5 being Hypans)over the last 160 years, I am awful at sexing them reliably. I can only do it by venting are by behavior once they are already sexually mature. Body shape can be unreliable at times. My solution is to trust others or else to buy in groups and grow them out.

So, here is what I suggest, you can get a second as long as you are prepared to trade, sell or give it away if you end up with two males in a tank too small for each to have it's own territory and they fight constantly. The only problem you might have if you get one of each sex is they might spawn.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back