Khuli Loach Help .

seth

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
165
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Tennessee
ok well i filled uo my tank got it all set up and found out about khuli loaches. I read that you need sand for loaches. but XxTbaggerxX says "I have 2 kuli loaches and they do fine in gravel (it just takes them longer to burry themselves)." is that statement true? because sand is just a pain to have. so i will appreciate any help thanks!

Seth Kaatz
 
Hi Seth

I have Dojo's, Clowns, Rostratas, Kubotai's, Dario's and Kuhlis and they are all in tanks with gravel and they love digging around in it.

I have a mix of fine and medium gravel with some coral gravel and calcium plus mixed in and they do not have a problem digging in it at all. The kuhlis don't bury themselves but Ive had them in a tank with sand and they still didn't bury themselves, the only loach I have had that buried itself was a couple of horseface loaches and the did it quite well in either gravel or sand.

Hope this helps a little.
 
When I had red-tailed loaches, they buried themselves just fine in my gravel --- it's very fine, rounded gravel. Now they are in a friend's tank with sand and there's no differences seen in their funky behavior.
 
When I had red-tailed loaches, they buried themselves just fine in my gravel --- it's very fine, rounded gravel. Now they are in a friend's tank with sand and there's no differences seen in their funky behavior.

haha wendy said funky
 
I've got 6 and they seem fine in gravel. They tend to either burrow under wood, or sit in little bushy plants. Only ever come out for food the little blighters.
 
None of my Kuhlis' have ever buried (or tried to) in small gravel, quartz or even sand :dunno:
 
No, mine don't bury themselves, but they root around in the sand looking for food. Much kinder on their bellies, looks better, more natural.... Sand is a much better choice. And any waste sits on top where its easy to remove, giving you a cleaner tank.
 
And any waste sits on top where its easy to remove, giving you a cleaner tank.
Now that's a matter of opinion ;) I find sand tanks a pain to keep clean - and gravel much much easier. Though arguably sand is great for many fish with fine barbels or bottom dwellers.
 
khuli's are great fish and fun too :D
I bought some new ones a week or so ago and they must of had some sort of illness as they died one by one and have wiped out all but one of my original three :-(
I know i should have a hospital tank, but you try telling that to the missus :crazy:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top