Keyhole Cichlid has black spot on head

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

2epicfish

Reaction score
Hi i hope i can get some help

I noticed while feeding today my keyhole cichlid has a raised spot on the right side of his face. I dont think it was there yesterday. He seems to be swimming and eating fine but it concerns me, is this a growth? Thanks
2E283EE1-9C29-41D1-850E-29FB731362B3.jpeg

He looks alright to me. If you look closely he is even smiling. Cichlids sometimes get bumps and scratches they usually go away on their own accord. Just monitor him for now.

He looks alright to me. If you look closely he is even smiling. Cichlids sometimes get bumps and scratches they usually go away on their own accord. Just monitor him for now.
Ah okay good thanks. Just wanted to make sure as ive had illness in the past and lost some nice fish so would rather avoid that altogether

Hello,
Just want to be sure, what I circled is what you're talking about ?
Flat or in relief ?
keyhole.jpg

Sorry but without clearer pics (I know, hard to shoot a fish) I can only make suppositions :
It may be 2 types of external parasites :
- Turbellaria (which is a small flatworm = trematoda) = planarian, responsible for the "black spot disease". In fact these are small worms that attach themselves to the skin are not or very little pathogenic (contrary to those that exist in the marine environment = "black ich") except perhaps for the fry. Their presence is often related to an unbalanced tank water direct transmission fish-fish in particular when tank is overcrowded.
- or a small copepod (crustacean) but I believe it less.

Could you tell about ammonia, nitrites, nitrates ?

Update i guess, whatever it was is disappeared on its own. So good outcome.

Good !
So that was a Tubelaria, it is known to appear and disappear like the Cheshire cat !

Just went away on it's own, good job. More often than not if you don't panic things will work out for the best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back