Juwel Rio 125 Filter

ben3486

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi peeps. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how I remove the internal filter from my rio 125? Thought I'd ask befor being heavy handed and potentially breaking the glass. The reason I want to remove it is there is mould between it and the glass I can't remove and figured replacing it with an external filter would ve much easier. On that subject also, can anyone recommend a decent external filter for my tank that is in the 60£ to 80£ region? Or cheaper lol. Many thanks. Ben

All you need is a flat blade of some sort. It will be attached by about 8 blobs of sealant. slice them off and then carefully remove any remaining once you have lifted the filter out.

Fantastic. Just what I needed to know. I'm guessing the blade from a Stanley knife will be just the job. Any recommendations for external filters?

You'll need something a bit longer than a stanley knife blade if you're as heavy handed as me. I used an old long thin kitchen knife. Ease the filter casing away from the glass to get at the inner blobs.
Be careful to keep the blade away from the corner sealant.

Stanley knife blades can be a bit dodgy as they are thick. I started to use one and found I was concerned about cracking the glass as mine was well stuck in !! Ended up using a flexible razor blade (the old fashioned type) held by some long nosed pliers. BE CAREFUL if you do this though (just being cautious in that advice, dont want to be responsible for any injuries, lol).

I ended up using an old small engineers metal ruler in a poking and sawing action lol. Worked a treat and it was off in about five minutes. Also went to swallow aquatics today and got a Boyu EF-20 external filter. Was reduced from £109 to £59 so but of a bargain I figured. Also it's for a 200-300 ltr tank so should defo do the job for my 125ltr tank. The only thing im struggling with is the pipes coming from the filter to the tank. It just wants to bend where ever it wants and keeps pulling the outlet and inlet off the suckers and moving to a position I don't want them in. Any advice on how to tame the flexible hose???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back