Juwel Record 70

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big C thanks for the idea. The tank looks a great deal brighter now, lets just hope that the plants respond!

I did wonder how you did your wiring, did you just run your new light strip off the original one in the tank or did you have a separate transformer/started unit like I have?

DSCF2100.jpg

Before the addition of the new bulb.

DSCF2105.jpg

After the addition of the new bulb, it doesnt look a great deal diffrent on camera, but it is

DSCF2107.jpg

Also with the extra light you get far clearer close up shots. The fish says thank you!!!

DSCF2113.jpg

I did wonder how you did your wiring, did you just run your new light strip off the original one in the tank or did you have a separate transformer/started unit like I have?

I used a complete new starter unit.
Regards
BigC

I might try that i have a rekord 60, i am new to all this was it esay
Simplicity itself,
You and adopt it to almost any make of tank/hood given that you have the space.
Regards
BigC

Hi,

Looking at the Juwel website they do make 'duolux' hoods and 'multilux' units (multilux) but only for tanks larger than the Rekord range. Which is a real shame, I think they would have made a few quid from the people of this thread alone.

I dont wanna take a backward step here, but am i right in thinking that without taking out all the current lighting stuff i can add upto a an 18" light into the Rekord 70s 'Monolux 60' hood?

My local pet superstore stocks the Arcadia (sp) ballast/starter thing (£13-14) and the blubs (£??), i'm really tempted to try this upgrade method. But what are the chances of the newly fixed unit falling off and giving my fish a little of the electro-shock treatment?

Thanks for the great pics and post which have helped me come this far.

!8" tube. you get plastic clips with the reflector but they are crap and go brittle in time much better to go to the DIY store and get proper metal ones. They are much stronger and will allay your fears of frying your fish.
Regards
BigC

Right felt I ought to add in what I've done, it was partly thanks to this thread after all :)

My original ballast gave up a while ago so I replaced it with an arcadia one. However I wanted to upgrade and get more lights so I decided to strip out the entire innards and add 2 extra bulbs.

Starting Point

With a hacksaw,a hammer and a stanley knife I managed to hack the old box out whilst only grazing one knuckle :eek:)
What's worth knowing is that the plastic will break in the right place if you score it first on a join. So I used a hammer to crack a hole in it that I could get my hacksaw in. then I hacksawed off the top and down the corners. Scored along the join to the main lid and bent it until it broke. Basically using trial and error and lots of brute force, it's a wonder I didn't break the whole lid!
If you're doing this too then try to cut a bit that's flat and big enough to cover the whole at the back where the original light wires used to come out.

Now where the wires used to come out is a hole, which you can cover with that bit of plastic mentioned above! (I thought about this too late so mine is a little bit small but just enough to attach the light fitting to and with a bit of Gaffer tape no-one would ever know ;) )

And finally with all 3 light fitted.

The final result...

It works and I'm happy with it however I'm still contemplating making my own hood for several reasons.
  • When you remove the electrics box the lid becomes more flimsy. I stand my orchids on top of my tank since they like the constant heat and the lid now bows if I do this.
  • Although the feeding hatch is still there and still accessible it's too small, because of the above I occasionally want to dip a net/test tube/hand into the tank without taking the whole hood off and I can't really do that as is.
  • I don't have a condensation cover so I'd like to have the lights a little further away from the water, if only so I don't have to clean them so often :blush:
  • As can be seen I have an old rekord and the lid is a little 'skanky' so something that poshes the whole tank up would be nice.

Nice work and a great addition to my original thread as everyone knows Juwel ballasts can and do fail eventually.
Regards
BigC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back