Juwel Internal Filter - Poor Design

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Bought a Juwel 630 tank with inbuilt filter a few months ago. My bristlenose catfish went mysteriously missing for at least four days. When searching, I found that in the very corner (behind the filter) there was a rotting neon tetra that we had to prize out with a knife. I don't know how it got there but, evidently, it couldn't get out - poor thing. Decided to take the filter unit out and found the bristlenose in the heater compartment! He was alive, but seemed happier to be out.

Didn't have a problem with the filter at all, but surely the number one requirement of the filter is not to kill the fish?

First off interesting thread to hear all your opinions

Not everyone on here thinks that high flow means better filtration.

I agree with OldMan47. Higher flow rate can help in filtration, as it can increase dissolved oxygen in the water, and the more oxygen within the water the more that ammonia and nitrite can be oxidised. BUT!!! Its not that simple there other factors to consider, one being retention time of the molecules in the filter, for instance if an ammonia molecule is in the filter for less than 1 second (i'm exaggerating to help with the point) its not got much time to come into contact with bacteria to be broken down however if there too much retention time (e.g. filter turned off) water in the tank may not being cycled enough and may take ages for it to be enter into the filter. In short its all a matter balance not one variable is going to maximise efficiency (i'm my opinion).

As for Juwel filters and tanks, i've recently worked at a local shop of mine which primarily sold jewel tanks. All in all they do the job. Not saying they couldn't be improved, they could. It is down to the individual tank stocking. Smaller fish seem to always get stuck behind internal filters its been a problem with many internal filters, so i suggest larger fish or getting a different filter more suitable for the tank and fish kept. the light in my opinion are the worse they seem to get water into the tubes them selves, which is a major health and safety hazard, but on inquiry the people have been filling up the tank a bit too much.
Juwel has obversely has designed a tank which they think will be beneficial to most fish and their owners, this unfortunately means that some people will find problems and others will think is its a convenient easy method and possibly work out cheaper for themselves. so to tie up what i'm trying to say, its a tank which works for most people but there are flaws in its design.
I don't like juwel tanks i found they can get algae behind the filter which looks unsightly and i like to be able to take the whole filter out when cleaning, and i just like being able to choose my equipment cause i know what i like and i know what the fish requirement are that i want to keep (no newcomer has this advantage which is why Juwel tanks are good for them).
Okay i know some people wont agree with what i've said but this is based on my experience and comments from customers which is always up for debate.

Thanks for an interesting read and i hope my comments are useful
Regards Jonny

They're good filters if you're keeping your average fresh water fish, but if you're into bigger fish or plants then an external is always a better bet.
If you're having problems and are just keeping average small fresh water fish, you're not maintaining it well enough.

Most reactions

Back