Juwel Compact Filter's Are Crap

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lovell_89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i've got a juwel rekord 60 and i'm not very impressed with the filter it just seems so weak and there's always particles floating around in the water. i been looking at getting a new filter i and quite like the sound of the fluval 3 plus. Have any of you used this filter and what do you think of it, is it quiet because its going to be in my bedroom. Any help would be appreciated.

thats the filter i've got in my 28gal tank & its quiet enough, & it seems to keep my tank clear.
only thing i would say is you have to clear the sponges regular on them or they get clogged up or at least mine do :*) lol

fluval are no better than the jewel filters. I suspect that the fact that there are particles in the water is down to your maintanence and cleaning routine (or lack of it) rathte rthan the filter itself.

If you want to rip the internal box filter out, replace it with an internal eheim component filter and all your problems will be gone.

Ben

i do weekly 30% water changes and gravel vacuums and i can see the particles floating quite near the filter intake and only some of them get sucked in.

same here as not happy with jewel filter is inside the tank but having outside the dirts stay out which is brilliant i would also recommend to look at Ehiem too as they are popular too Fluval and Ehiem is good , as have an corner tank and i just left the jewel corner filter in tank for the heater and got an black plug to fill the hole to stop the fish going in as am using Fluval 304 for my conrer tank and it doing an good job now and yes it quite and silent i own 3 fluval filter 101, 304, 404 for my 3 tanks :)

Hi, I have a Juwel Rekord96 and I have nice clear water. A lot of people don't like Juwels so perhaps you will have to get a different one. Just thought I'd tell you that mine is ok in case that helps. I have just gravel vacced with a battery gravel cleaner (in between weekly water change as I have a pleco) and I have particles at the moment which will clear by the time I look again. I do change the white polypad every three days and the other sponges are rinsed or changed as in the manual. :)

I have a record 60, i riped the filter out for the same reason.
I'm not a big fan of the fluval's i think there a horible design and the flow is to high even with the the ajustment on it.

Have you had a look at the ehiem's aquaball you can get the basic moddle and add moduals to ot later if you need them, you can also take the sponge out of one of the baskets and put other mediun in them like carbon, gravel etc.
I had one for a while and have used it in planted tanks, fry, bette's and discus with no probs

I ripped the compartment out on my rekord 60 as the filter was crap, and added a eheim aquaball filter, 2210 but added an extra basket, plus a fluval one, water now crystal clear.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z012018.asp

If you buy an ehiem the sponges come with it, just sterlise the juwel sponges in the micowave a couple of times let dry and and put away, you might need then one day, i have another juwel tank so they come in handy for me, just squeeze the old sponges onto the new sponges before you clean them.

Eheim aquaballs are by far the best internal filter I've ever used.

I had the same problem with particles and a juwel 60l tank, i took out the standard white sponge filter and added a Polywool filter , problem solved. Its a bit expensive to use the polywool but its cheaper than buying a new full filter.

Must say,contrary to what everyone else is saying im quite happy with the jewel filter in my 60. Water is crisp clear. Despite now being heavily planted. In fact I like it better than the fluval filters. Like the intake at top sucks in all sorts. Ive got a fluval 4 in my neo deep 1000 and wash in frustration as particles float by it's intake.. I recently changed gravel in tank and filter totaly cleared tank in couple of hours. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back