Just Wondering?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

buffalogal

Reaction score
Could I keep Aphyosemion australe in a community with the following? Would epiplatys dageti monroviae be better?:

2 acara curviceps
5 emperor tetras
5 marble hachets
3 sterbai cory cats
1 leopard frog pleco
1 pearl gourami

My lfs has the epiplatys in fairly regularly. They are sold in pairs though. Isn't it better to do 1 male to 2 female? If I have them order the australe, should I get a pair or 3? Thanks so much for your help!

Either will fit in well in your tank. although you have addressed the surface layers with hatchets and gourami so Aph. australe (trio if poss) would suffice in this case.

Just an update: My lfs finally got a pair of orange australe in from a breeder and they have they on hold for me. :D They are really really tiny and he is really glowing orange, where she is more caucasian flesh colored. I had to go home and research first because he was so much brighter orange than the ones I'd seen in books which were more gold. Anyway, I'm picking them up on Thursday.

My questions: I am thinking of going with harlequin rasboras instead of the Emperor tetras? They seem to be less aggressive but more active. Also, I think it might be nicer visually, especially because I went with the orange/gold australe. I wanted to be sure that these would be okay with the killi first. I realize that they are shy and I do have a spare 5gal if I need to rescue them. I'm also concerned because they are so little. He's maybe an inch long and she was maybe half an inch. Would the gourami and curviceps try to eat them? Should they go in a nursery net in the tank until they are bigger, or can they hold their own?

Thanks for your help. I'm sorry if these are noob questions. The lps I worked at for 2 years only had golden wonders, so my experience with killis is pretty limited.

I think they are too small to go in with the gourami and dwarf cichilds just yet, they will be ok with the rasboras. (better choice than the more aggressive emperor tets)
So Nursery tank it is for now (keep the lid tightly covered or they will jump) feed a variety of foods including some live. Provide the female with some cover (make some acrylic mops) above all keep the tank clean and perform water changes on a regular basis, a few weeks of good feeding will put size on them.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Back