Just What The Heck Is Going On Here?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joselaz5780

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So about 4 days ago, I had my platy girl give birth and it had 15 healthy babies. I washed the breeding net well since it had a couple of months without use and inserted the babies inside of it. The babies are slowly dying one by one and yesterday my swordtail died. The swordtail was only about 8-9 months(It was born in my tank). Today my adult platy which was about one year(also born in my tank!) died. These two deaths got me extremely upset and sad since they happened out of nowhere and they both died one day after the other. Right now I am out of test strips and will not manage to go to the store until tomorrow or a couple of days... I did a 50% water change, cleaned filter media and decided to give less food than the usual. I have also been changing about 10% water every other day for about one year now and the tank has been doing well, that is, until now. So, what the heck could be going on here?! Also, when the swordtail and the platy died, they both went between the glass and breeding net and turned upside down. The swordtail's tail also broke apart before death. Please help? I have 3 more platies which were born in my tank and I have grown to love them and I also have 5 3 month old babies which are hanging with the big guys too and I don't want them dead. My cories have been doing well, so that's good.

I am very sorry for your loss! Especially since you seem to have put so much care into having these fish!

Because everything was fine before you placed the breeding box in the tank I am very suspicious that it may have had some kind of toxin on it! How did you clean the breeding box before you placed it in the tank? Could there have been some chemical residue on it? Did you remove the box?

As to test strips, it would be a much better investment to get a liquid test kit! The test strips are unreliable, and basically a waste of your money!

I placed the net under running warm water for about five minutes and decors were also cleaned. I took out the net and placed the fry in my emergency 2.5 gallon tank with filter and no heater due to temperature being at 90 degrees. My friend also had e fish die out of the blue...could it be the sudden temperature change? I highly doubt it but I'm confused.

I placed the net under running warm water for about five minutes and decors were also cleaned. I took out the net and placed the fry in my emergency 2.5 gallon tank with filter and no heater due to temperature being at 90 degrees. My friend also had e fish die out of the blue...could it be the sudden temperature change? I highly doubt it but I'm confused.
Any sprays or furniture cleaning substances used in the room with the tank? Anyone smoking near the tank?
Could have also been a case of gill flukes or something that infected the fry and then the fry passed it to the adults.

I have a sink in the back of my house which I have used for my fish and I rarely use for anything else. Today they seem to be doing fine, however, I will be keeping a close eye on them. I just hope they don't keep dying. I am also changing about 1/2 liter of water a day. Just for the next few weeks.

I have a sink in the back of my house which I have used for my fish and I rarely use for anything else. Today they seem to be doing fine, however, I will be keeping a close eye on them. I just hope they don't keep dying. I am also changing about 1/2 liter of water a day. Just for the next few weeks.
I hope they'll be fine. Must have been something to do with a disease seeking the fry (which are more vulnerable) and then it advanced to some other vulnerable adult fish.

yes he did now all he has is a white scar on his side but is doing great however today one of my 3 month old fry is swimming upside down. What should i do?

I feel like taking down the whole tank I mean it had been doing so well(the tank) for well over a year now and now this is happening. All my work gone to waste and i feel upset for not being able to help them.

yes he did now all he has is a white scar on his side but is doing great however today one of my 3 month old fry is swimming upside down. What should i do?

I feel like taking down the whole tank I mean it had been doing so well(the tank) for well over a year now and now this is happening. All my work gone to waste and i feel upset for not being able to help them.
Is the fry bloated? Try feeding him peas (if he is trying to eat). I also found out that feeding flakes during a state of bloating will only cause more problems so stop feeding flakes for a while and give only peas. My hoplo got bloated once because he ate too many flakes so I switched to bloodworms for a few days and he lost the bloating. Now I feed him a balanced diet of 2 days of flakes + salad and 2 days of bloodworms + salad.

I'm not sure you should take the whole tank down, it may also disturb the balance. But do a vacuum, plenty of water changes and maybe the fish will fight it off on their own. The death of those fry might have something to do with it. Monitor the parameters and see how they do. If that doesn't stop the problems, barely then scrub the stuff, maybe treat each fish with some methylene blue (though I'm not sure exactly how this is used, someone around here might know more about this stuff).

The fry could barely swim. however when I lifted the top, he made a desperate swim to the top. today I do not even see him. I am scared that its body will start to decompose and harm the other fish.

The fry could barely swim. however when I lifted the top, he made a desperate swim to the top. today I do not even see him. I am scared that its body will start to decompose and harm the other fish.
I hope this stops eventually. If the body's gone, he might have been eaten already though.

Yeah, well their diet consists of bloodworms, pellets, and flakes but ill feed them a boiled pea without skin today.

jhkh.gif
bumps

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back