Just a few questions...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AqAdvisor was very helpful. I changed my stock. I am going to have 20 Cardinals, 10 Black Phantom Tetras, 10 Ember Tetras, and 10 Blue Diamond Shrimp. I am putting one dophin h200 in the tank, with another filter that has 100 gph as well, because I found out the gph should be 4 x the tank size. AqAdvisor stated my filtration capacity was 341%, and my stocking level was 65%, and that I should change 20% of the water a week. If the stocking level is 65%, then I should be able to add more fish, but that's when I'm more experienced I guess.

AqAdvisor was very helpful. I changed my stock. I am going to have 20 Cardinals, 10 Black Phantom Tetras, 10 Ember Tetras, and 10 Blue Diamond Shrimp. I am putting one dophin h200 in the tank, with another filter that has 100 gph as well, because I found out the gph should be 4 x the tank size. AqAdvisor stated my filtration capacity was 341%, and my stocking level was 65%, and that I should change 20% of the water a week. If the stocking level is 65%, then I should be able to add more fish, but that's when I'm more experienced I guess.

That seems like way too much water movement for these sedate fish. This is a major problem with AqAdvisor, there are so many factors involved in putting a community of fish together that no programme can really work it out.

Can you confirm which sized tank is now being considered, there have been four if not more mentioned in this thread and I'm confused. Also, are live plants, especially floating plants, intended?

That seems like way too much water movement for these sedate fish. This is a major problem with AqAdvisor, there are so many factors involved in putting a community of fish together that no programme can really work it out.

Can you confirm which sized tank is now being considered, there have been four if not more mentioned in this thread and I'm confused. Also, are live plants, especially floating plants, intended?
I see. I am getting 50 gallon tank, which is going to be delivered. Yes, there is going to be frogbit, and Amazon Sword, etc.

I see. I am getting 50 gallon tank, which is going to be delivered. Yes, there is going to be frogbit, and Amazon Sword, etc.

OK. No problem with the fish numbers, and yes, there is lots of room for more. I would be concerned over the filters though, relating to water movement.

Filters have two functions: moving the tank water around, and "filtering" the water. These are two very different functions, though obviously related because the water movement means the water is passing through the filter media, thus filtering the water.

Water movement is important and should always be based upon the species of fish. Some need basically no or very minimal water movement, some need very rapid water movement, and there is not usually a middle road which is why it is important to ensure the fish species all share the same needs respecting water current (along with parameters, aquascaping, etc.). You have fish preferring quiet water, which means some movement is fine, but not such that it buffets the fish, and most importantly, they must be able to get out of any current they consider strong, as they cannot "rest" otherwise.

On the filtration, there is mechanical, biological and chemical. Mechanical is simply moving the water through fine media (sponges, foam, etc) to remove suspended particu7late matter, thus making the water "clear" (which is different from "clean"). Biological is the nitrification business, which should not be "encouraged" when live plants are present because they compete for the ammonia, and the plants will win out and do a better job anyway. Were it not for the water movement aspect, one could dispense with any filter in a planted tank, provided the tank is biologically balanced. Biological filtration is going to occur on the filter media used for mechanical filtration anyway, but the point is that higher flow or more filters is not going to help, with plants present. Chemical filtration should never be used in a planted tank except to clear medications; carbon for example does remove some essential plant nutrients, though the carbon eventually becomes ineffective as it adsorbs stuff (adsorb, not absorb).

Therefore, I would select the filter which will provide adequate water movement from one end of the tank to the other, without going to excess. I know nothing about the filters mentioned, nor have I ever bothered in the least with flow rates and gallons/liters per hour, etc...always having floating plants, these issues are completely irrelevant, except that the flow should be geared to the needs of the fish species and not more (or less).

The DophinH200 can be put on Lo setting, for less water flow. The other filter has a weak current. It should be ok right?

Last edited:
Other forums state that API melafix is fine. why do you disagree? Also, pls answer question above about ammonium chloride..
Hello. I'm not sure if you are asking me. I have no idea what API melafix is so can't comment on it. And I can't help regarding the ammonium chloride I'm afraid. Sorry.!

Is aquarium salt good to keep at standby in case my fish get ich or something?
Heat cures ich (30c/ 86f for 2 weeks), not salt.
Salt can be used for bacterial or fungal infections. It also helps gill function, for example when a fish's gills are damaged by nitrite.

Other forums state that API melafix is fine. why do you disagree?
Melafix treats bacterial and fungal infections. If you have aquarium salt you will not need Melafix.
Salt is the preferred method as it dissolves in water and has no harmful side effects.

Melafix contains tea tree oil as it's active ingredient. Oil doesn't dissolve in water so an emulsifier is added. In general, a good principle is that fewer additives are best to keep water pure and of high quality for the fish who absorb it via osmosis.
Melafix forms a foam on the surface of the tank which can be hard to get rid of in tanks with high organics. This foam, being an oil, can inhibit gas exchange at the surface so oxygen is reduced and carbon dioxide increases. This can be harmful, even fatal, for the fish. Also, anabantids/ labyrinthic fish possess unique accessory organs for breathing atmospheric air and oil at the surface can prevent them from doing so.

If we cut our hand, we probably use an antiseptic to clean the wound. But if the wound becomes infected, an antiseptic will not cure it; we need an antibiotic.
The three -fix fish medications are like antispetics. They may stop an infection taking hold but they won't cure an infection. But salt also does this, and salt has less impact on the fish or tank.

If we cut our hand, we probably use an antiseptic to clean the wound. But if the wound becomes infected, an antiseptic will not cure it; we need an antibiotic.
The three -fix fish medications are like antispetics. They may stop an infection taking hold but they won't cure an infection. But salt also does this, and salt has less impact on the fish or tank.
Salt solution and baths are also used for healing in people. It is really useful stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back