Jbl Solution

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

McG

Reaction score
Sorry if this really is a stupid and long question.

I can't fathom it- got a drop checker from JBL (a couple of years ago now granted) and some copy glasswear recently - when I was using the Hagen yeast diffuser attached to D&D injected the drop checker was getting yellow a few times through the week, thought I wasn't getting a good distribution so hooked it up to Eheim air diffuser hooked up to Juwel 1000 l/ph internal, (for info also got Eheim 2327 rxternal, spraybar rippling surface but no splashes) (EI dosing 1/4 at every change macro? NO Phosphates as LFS say phosphate high in tap water) I know about fluctuating CO2 and algae, and also effects of high CO2 on fish but not "too" concerned as been doing bi weekly 50% changes -far too much time on my hands. The indicator/glassware has been changing colours but less dramatic and intentionally wanted it to go yel, green not blue green as hoped a wee bit too much CO2 would battle algae.

The fish are all ok, not gasping at the surface as might expect and eating fine , maybe a little shy but have put that down to nuclear lighting pendant not hung correctly- which in itself a different thread- and to be honest I dont want all my dirty washing out in one day!

Readings are good -I think, got plain old auld reekie tap water - but

lights off av reading
(over a couple of weeks and at different times - and not with anorak and notebook though wish I had now, well maybe not anorak (approx pH 7, NitrAtes 15-25, KH 6? (not ppm) GH (that's a mystery)- it's soft- I've often wondered if is calcium defficient cause added epsom salts and didn't really effect GH (a day after reading test liquid AP Test kit) got a different set of tests and now dip and strip am happier with their readings (higher KH & GH to second set of APs guidelines 6 DKH o will go with those (a fish tank is not a horoscope tee he- don't just believe the ones you want to) anyway)

Lights on same but pH lower to 6.5/ 7- find reading colours tricky-probably those faffing MH bulbs tee he and there's two substantial bits of bog wood too. I know the 2327 isn't good for the planted tank cause of breathing so waiting for my hydor 300 external heater before I'll switch it over onto either a fluval 305 or 405 - not sure which both running on other tanks so will be swapping at least one- what do you think? Juwel Internal + 305 or 405?

My point is I left the switch up on the C02 timer so running throughout the night- i was chuffed when the lights went out as drop checker was a lovely green, and when I checked when I got up I could see that there are loads of wee co2 bubbles that shouldn't be on yet- got CO2 normally running approx 6 hours with 150W 53K MH + 2 x 24W 65CFL)

So how can it still be green? I didn't think the CO2 was being used at night so thought it would go yellow - thanks to anyone who could work out what I'm trying to say - don't get me wrong I love the green and long may it continue

So how can it still be green? I didn't think the CO2 was being used at night so thought it would go yellow - thanks to anyone who could work out what I'm trying to say - don't get me wrong I love the green and long may it continue

Just because plants dont use CO2 at night, doesnt mean you cant have 30ppm of CO2. The CO2 is still disolved in the water. And depending on how long it was on before the lights, drop checkers take about 2 hours to change.

Thanks Arron, hope that's what it is- I noticed the spraybar was giving more splash than normal (normally just lightly ripples) so maybe the extra surface agitation countered the additional time CO2 on. CO2 is normally on about 15 mintues before lights and goes off 15 before lights go off- so a 6 hour period for the moment, which is way less than the 10 or so I had it running when I was using t5s maybe getting better rates since switching to nozzlie diffuser but too many variables to really work it out I suppose- then again only worry about the things you need - and this looks good so don't worry. Thanks for answering tho, much apppreciated

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back