Jams & Jellies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Only jelly I really like is vodka jelly :p

Friday gone I joined my old school (that I left about 8 years ago) on their 10 mile sponsored walk (having done a 3 mile walk with the dog early in the morning) and dear god did I forget how unfit I am and how decrepit I feel! Must have been exactly 10 years ago now that I was on the cross country team and I dodged check points and ran the 10 miles with a friend!

But I was walking with two of my favourite teachers (sounds like I was a right teachers pet! LOL) and I even had Year 11 students refer to me as 'Miss' and ask my permission to do something or another! Was really weird!! But I picked up two jars of Rosehip Jelly for my old teachers as we walked past my house at the 5 mile mark! They were both so chuffed :)

That's 4 out of 6 jars with homes!! Now I might have to make more!! :eek:

MBOU said:
Hi all,

Its that time of year (well... mostly past it now for most fruits!!) but I was wondering if anyone has been making jams, jellies, chutneys or preserves of any kind?

My mum has always made strawberry jam, raspberry jam, blackcurrant jelly and bramble jelly every year for as long as I can remember! But my mum and I in the kitchen together.... nah ah!! I have wanted to make jams and jellies for ages but not been brave enough to try nor willing to ask advise
wink.png

I also have a taste for the 'quirky and unusual'... so after searching hedgerows when out walking the dog, I have settled on making Rosehip Jelly (didn't realise how beautiful these smell after having your hands massacred by the thorns!!). Whilst really struggling to find a recipe I feel comfortable with, I discovered a recipe for hawthorn berry jelly (I was under the impression these were poisonous!?) and even better still... Lavender Jelly
ohmy.png
oh my goodness!! MUST make Lavender Jelly!!

Am about to go and start cooking down the rosehips now and seeing as they will need to be left overnight to strain, I will then identify the types of lavender in our garden and pick some before its too late!

Bit terrified of trying to get jelly to set!! Wish me luck!
Hey its an old post but did you get around to trying the Lavender jelly?  It sounds interesting and my Lavender plant is doing well...
I've made Blackcurrant jam and Rhubarb and Ginger which was nice, but my favourite has to be Chilli Jam which I've also made as a dipping sauce.

I never did get round to that lavender jelly as whilst I would like the taste, I don't really eat sweet things and everyone I asked looked utterly disgusted!!

I also don't know what species our big lavender plant is because not all varieties are edible or as nice.

I made a second batch of Rosehip, Raspberry and Vanilla jelly which was a massive hit and came in really handy for Christmas presents along with the sloe gin and rosehip and vanilla vodka I made!!

Next recipe I shall try will be Rhubarb and Rosehip Jelly :) the rosehips are so much sweeter than the rhubarb, I think they will work together!

I am helping out with a charity event at the end of june and have agreed to make batches of jam for raffle prizes and to sell so I will be making plenty more :)

I do enjoy a rhubarb jelly, although I prefer a rhubarb jam.

eaglesaquarium said:
I do enjoy a rhubarb jelly, although I prefer a rhubarb jam.I
And theres room for some cultural confusion LOL what does an American consider jam? Because I hear a lot of 'Jelly' for what I'd call 'Jam'

Jelly is made with juice only.
Jam is made with the whole fruit.

MBOU said:
I never did get round to that lavender jelly as whilst I would like the taste, I don't really eat sweet things and everyone I asked looked utterly disgusted!!

I also don't know what species our big lavender plant is because not all varieties are edible or as nice.

I made a second batch of Rosehip, Raspberry and Vanilla jelly which was a massive hit and came in really handy for Christmas presents along with the sloe gin and rosehip and vanilla vodka I made!!

Next recipe I shall try will be Rhubarb and Rosehip Jelly
smile.png
the rosehips are so much sweeter than the rhubarb, I think they will work together!

I am helping out with a charity event at the end of june and have agreed to make batches of jam for raffle prizes and to sell so I will be making plenty more
smile.png

I love Rhubarb. not everyone does.
I'm not much into sweet things either so don't eat a lot of jam, one batch lasts us ages but I like trying new flavours and Lavender is definitely something different.  Hubby likes gin so I might give that a go for him but I made a Gooseberry liqueur (Vodka based) thats very nice and I've tried Blackcurrant before.
eaglesaquarium said:
Jelly is made with juice only.
Jam is made with the whole fruit.
Good to know :) That's about what I'd say too, though jelly would be a firmer texture less spreadable.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back