Jack Dempseys mating or not

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Which 1 should I try to rehome ,, I'm actually shocked , cause it was always the bigger one that carried on,, as soon as I put him back in today other one was on him ,, I'm gutted ,, do I take them to a fish shop unsure of what to do help😪😪😪

Remove either. It’s up to you which one you keep. If you’re wanting a pair, remove the aggressor, and add a female of similar size. Make sure there are several places for her to get away from the male till she settles. Better still, let her settle then add the male to her tank.

I wouldn't be trying to add a female in to that tank. Males are very territorial. If you completely change the tank around by removing all the ornaments and rocks and then having a new design, you may get away with it.

I wouldn't be trying to add a female in to that tank. Males are very territorial. If you completely change the tank around by removing all the ornaments and rocks and then having a new design, you may get away with it.

Males are territorial towards other males, but a female is a totally different proposition. If he’s in breeding condition he’ll chase away a female that isn’t (she can’t go anywhere in a tank, which is when it becomes dangerous). If a female is introduced that’s also in breeding condition they’re likely to pair up peacefully. If one is ready and the other isn’t, then there’ll be trouble.
A new female, coming straight from a shop, will probably not be ready, which is why letting her get ready and then introducing the male into her territory is a much safer way to do it. Simply rearranging the tank doesn’t guarantee anything. Two cichlids that are both ready (or both come into breeding condition together) will usually pair up very peacefully.

The next question I have, is do you really want to breed JD's. You may end up with a couple of hundred fry. Have you tanks to raise them and then somewhere to sell them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back