Is this 💩 pewp

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CapnSmee

Reaction score
I don't know how G rated this site is. So quite bluntly, my google search (what a flag that will raise) was a dud. I just want to know if all these specks are poo or something to haunt my nightmares. I appreciate anyone's expertise.
If it matters I have bettas, otocinclus, corydoras, and a mystery snail.

Attachments

• 20220324_175829.jpg
    20220324_175829.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 52
They look a bit like Detritus worms or some other type. They feed off fish and plant waste and I don’t know if they are harmful (don’t think so) but probably indicate the tank could use a water change and vacuuming of those leaves and substrate.

Someone around here likely knows more about wether they are harmful.

Last edited:
Ok, straight to nightmare. I wondered if it was worms, but really hoped it was poop.
I noticed them this week. I do regular water changes and did a 50% change just yesterday.
I really hope someone else chimes in.
Worms 😭

I should add, I also removed everything from the tank, scrubbed it in the sink, and then vacuumed out water to 50%

Sorry, didn’t mean to send you into freak out mode, and of course I don’t mean parasitic worms btw, just the type which feed off of waste in an aquarium. 🙂

I just need them to go live somewhere else. They don't even move. Why couldn't they just be poop?! 🤣

I just need them to go live somewhere else. They don't even move. Why couldn't they just be poop?! 🤣
they are just poop i think if they don't move. deitrus worms are harmless little wiggles. they are usually opaque white
1648167815035.png
(not my tank)

And that is what you can see :)

My DD took some BGA/Cyanobacteria from my tank to AP Bio class a few weeks ago. They looked at it for some fun time vs heavy study for a change. I ran into her at school (I'm a robotics coach) and she and her fellow students were all excited about all the worms they saw mixed with the BGA. Sadly, there are no pics. :(

First, I'm glad someone thinks poop 🤣 i know there's things I can't see, but I like it that way. I can pretend it simply doesn't exist.

Its a 29 gallon tank with 4 bettas (females), 2 corydoras, 2 otocinclus, and 1 snail. I don't have any plans to add more.

Curiosity has me now. Usually I change 5 gallons (17%) every 3-4 days. Unless there's an issue then I have done more, but spread out over a few hours. When I did 50% yesterday, that was a first. I saw the specks that I hadn't seen before and immediately pulled out the vacuum. Today there seems to be just as much on the plants. If its indeed poop I figured it must be from the otos that like to rest on them.

Curiosity has me now. Usually I change 5 gallons (17%) every 3-4 days. Unless there's an issue then I have done more, but spread out over a few hours. When I did 50% yesterday, that was a first. I saw the specks that I hadn't seen before and immediately pulled out the vacuum. Today there seems to be just as much on the plants. If its indeed poop I figured it must be from the otos that like to rest on them.
Forgot my question. How often are you fine folks doing water changes? Am I at an ok level or not enough? I have no issue if I need to do more.

Most reactions

Back