Is this odd?

pjeff

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My my breeding pair of convicts where courting each other and i was wondering when they were gunna lay there eggs and one day after doing a routine gravel vacuum i moved this shell that the female was very fond of and when i moved it she pecked at my hand. This i layed down the shell to and i found in side a ton of eggs i was delighted to kno that i finally had eggs about 12 hours later i had wriggleers they are still at that stage i was wondering if it was normal for this fish to spawn in shells.
I have been overloaded with babies lately my electric yellows had babies and now my convicts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

convicts lay their eggs on smooth surfaces that they clean immaculately. some will even dig out the bottom of the gravel and lay the eggs on the bottom of aquariums. they also like to lay their eggs in caves. the ideal birthing spot for a convict is a flowerpot or peice of pvc tube on it's side. this allows for coverage and gives the smooth surface that they desire.

once convicts breed they are capable of breeding every 3-6 weeks. each spawn is approximately 150-200 eggs. the first one is usually the smallest and increases in number with every one. convicts are also hard to get rid of since they are such prolific breeeders.

Most reactions

Back