Is there any type of aquarium that is filterless?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is there any type of aquarium that is filterless? If so are they hard to run?

As always, people will debate these things. My experience after reading a lot of debates, and after knowing many elderly aquarists when I was very young (I'm not so young now) says this:

A heavily planted stagnant indoor tank can work if you are prepared to heavily research the fish chosen, and go for swamp origin species. You then stock at one small fish per 5 gallons, maximum. If you stock properly, maintenance will be about what it is for a regular tank. You may have problems with slight odours, but that isn't certain.

Such tanks were very popular in the 1930s to 1960s, but because you can have so few fish in them, and because you have so few species choices if you live in a temperate climate (even if you have a heater, heat is poorly distributed in still water), they were replaced. There used to be a lot more gourami-type air breathing fish in the hobby, and many of the species we take for granted now couldn't be kept.

If you took a fairly large tank and arranged it so plants came out of the water above the surface, with a few carefully chosen killifish or Anabantoid fish, you could have a pretty cool swamp in your house.

Hello kev. There is. I have a 300 gallon tank that has roughly 15 Goldfish in it. It has no filter. It just has a lot of plants and good aeration and gets a 50 percent water change weekly. The tank has been running several years and the fish are three to six inches long, all doing very well. I've found that if you change enough water and change it often enough you don't need mechanical filtration. The problem is, most people who keep fish tanks aren't willing to follow this type of water change routine.

10 Tanks

I think where people (and fish) get into trouble is when they try to do this in small tanks.

Hello kev. There is. I have a 300 gallon tank that has roughly 15 Goldfish in it. It has no filter. It just has a lot of plants and good aeration and gets a 50 percent water change weekly. The tank has been running several years and the fish are three to six inches long, all doing very well. I've found that if you change enough water and change it often enough you don't need mechanical filtration. The problem is, most people who keep fish tanks aren't willing to follow this type of water change routine.

10 Tanks

You’re obviously not feeding them much either if they’re only 3-6” long after “several years”.
Any tank with a minimal bioload, (or minimal feeding), similar to that found in nature, where there’s enough bacteria on surfaces to deal with the bioload, doesn’t need a filter.
Also a ‘true’ blackwater tank with a very low pH, where ammonia is not toxic and doesn’t get converted to nitrite, can’t use a biofilter, because the bacteria involved can’t function in such low pH.

I think where people (and fish) get into trouble is when they try to do this in small tanks.
Hi Gary. I agree. If I had a small tank, I would have to keep very small fish and change half the water twice weekly. The water chemistry changes too quickly in a small tank. There needs to be enough water to allow for mistakes that everyone makes. That's why I don't keep tanks under 45 gallons. Even after close to 20 years of keeping fish, I still wouldn't trust myself keeping a small tank.

10 Tanks

You’re obviously not feeding them much either if they’re only 3-6” long after “several years”.
Any tank with a minimal bioload, (or minimal feeding), similar to that found in nature, where there’s enough bacteria on surfaces to deal with the bioload, doesn’t need a filter.
Also a ‘true’ blackwater tank with a very low pH, where ammonia is not toxic and doesn’t get converted to nitrite, can’t use a biofilter, because the bacteria involved can’t function in such low pH.
Hello Ich. Guilty of not feeding very much. But, that's what heavy waste producers like Goldfish really need. It's been my experience that a fish that's a little hungry is healthier and a better forager for that last little bit of food. That fish is also doing its part to keep the water clean. The frequent, large water changes will maintain good water conditions to the point you never need to test it. It's always clear of pollutants.

10 Tanks

Last edited:
There’s really no need to feel offended. We’re all here to learn. Even if we think we’re not. ;)
He wasn't being offended... Just explaining his side of it all. He did so in a very respectful manner

@10 Tanks Umm, I'm not sure "Ich" is a good nickname here! Ichthys is great and I was jeaslous of the idea when I first saw him or her or them post. It could cause a spot of trouble, raise temperatures, make people get salty and make potential friendships dye.

It's hard to make a pun with "Malachite green".

@10 Tanks Umm, I'm not sure "Ich" is a good nickname here! Ichthys is great and I was jeaslous of the idea when I first saw him or her or them post. It could cause a spot of trouble, raise temperatures, make people get salty and make potential friendships dye.

It's hard to make a pun with "Malachite green".
Hi Gary. Good point. I've always been one for "Nick Names". I will try to include the entire name in the future. Apologies to Ichthys.

10 Tanks

I've kept two filterless tanks for three years without any problems. Those fish stayed healthy and reproduced without any problems.
14991415_361191857565246_5669022261281721994_o.jpg15000828_361194360898329_4716560641658164540_o.jpg
I've used Myriophyllum plants and some gravel. That was all.

I am running one filterless tank. Its a 10g with lots of plants.
I do weekly 50% wc's and the fish are healthy.
I think that the key is lots of plants and frequent water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back