Is Sideboard Strong Enough?

puffer duffer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok heres pics,why can you only put pics here?anyway this sideboard has had a juwel rio 180ltr on for over a year with no problems,im now geting juwel 240 which is obviously heavier what does everyone think?will it take the weight?i have had 4 people approx weight of 50 stone stand on it but with a tank it will be a prolonged pressure and im paranoid it might give!really dont want to get rid to make room for a tank stand as its been passed down from my husbands nan and he really doesnt want to give it up,any ideas how to strengthen? even if it doesnt need it i would sleep better if i could reinforce it some how,calling all construction minded people please :good: thanks

Attachments

• side board 001.jpg
    side board 001.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 255
  • side board 002 Resized.jpg
    side board 002 Resized.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 246
  • side board 003.jpg
    side board 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 272
ok heres pics,why can you only put pics here?anyway this sideboard has had a juwel rio 180ltr on for over a year with no problems,im now geting juwel 240 which is obviously heavier what does everyone think?will it take the weight?i have had 4 people approx weight of 50 stone stand on it but with a tank it will be a prolonged pressure and im paranoid it might give!really dont want to get rid to make room for a tank stand as its been passed down from my husbands nan and he really doesnt want to give it up,any ideas how to strengthen? even if it doesnt need it i would sleep better if i could reinforce it some how,calling all construction minded people please
good.gif
thanks

Probably better bulit than most modern tank stands to be honest, as long as your tank isn't overhanging then the pressure would be evenly distributed throughout the structure. I pressume there are partitions in between the cubooards which will also aid in support. If you want to be doubly sure you could remove the bottom section and have it sat flush to the floor all around. I have a juwel 260 on the stand designed for it and it is nowhere nearly as well made as that piece of furniture. I am no structural engineer though so you may want to get other oppinions

thanks yeah its kinda what i thought but im super paranoid :lol: the tank wont overhang but there isnt any partitions which go all the way to the top it stops before because of draws so the only front braces are the 2 struts you can see in pic,im going to put 2x2 behind front left strut as much in the middle as i can (there is also a shelf in cabinet stopping me putting it at the back)and continue 2x2 under stand to the floor,cant put 2x2 on right strut as there is partition wall in the way and 2x2 has to go in space between draws to get to top,im also going to fill gap above legs with wood so the weight is distrabuted over full length of legs...do you think this would be enough? i know what you mean about stands that come with tanks i have a fluval roma 125ltr with stand if i push the panels they flex slightly which is not very reasuring!

I would honestly say that should be fine water is aprox 1 kg per litre so 240l would be 240kg plus tank weight would equate to about 25kg so in total less than 300 kg. 1 kg = 0.1575 stone so you would have about 47 stone max on there which is evenly distributed throughout the whole structure.

Hope this helps

Mark

I would honestly say that should be fine water is aprox 1 kg per litre so 240l would be 240kg plus tank weight would equate to about 25kg so in total less than 300 kg. 1 kg = 0.1575 stone so you would have about 47 stone max on there which is evenly distributed throughout the whole structure.

Hope this helps

Mark
ok thanks i will try not to bodge it up :good:

Hope this helps

Mark
ok thanks i will try not to bodge it up :good:
ok its on and holding so far! i did reinforce sideboard and all is good so far,pics soon :good:

Most reactions

Back