Is My Tank Safe?

Fish_Mike

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
633
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Well, for about 4 days this week, my tank will have no fish in it.

During this time, I want to strip it, paint the back black (using what?) and switch to sand.

I simply want to know, that, if I keep my filters running with a food source (ammonia) and replace the old rocks, if the tank will be set for fish.

How long will the paint take to dry?

I will basically put the sand and deco in as soon as possible and wonder if it will be safe to put fish in after about 1 day?

~Michael
 
Most likley most of the bacteria will die. Is their a way to have a lps to hold your fish and run your filter and put your gravel in the tank while you make the changes?
 
Most likley most of the bacteria will die. Is their a way to have a lps to hold your fish and run your filter and put your gravel in the tank while you make the changes?


I would disagree with this. Plenty of people who cannot get ammonia or choose not to use it cycle their tanks using fish food which they add. The fish food turns into waste and that will be perfect for keeping the bacteria in your filter alive.

If you buy a water testing kit, this will be the most efficient way of measuring if the tank will be ready for new fish or not.
 
You could use standard black emulsion... you can then wash/scrape it off at a later date if needs be... I use thickish matt black card from a local art shop with an edge of double sided tape... no hedious watermarks... yet...

Completely emptying your tank for four days will probably mean your existing bacteria will die off and you'd have to 'cycle' from scratch... if you have nowhere else for your fish, do you have another tank you could 'cycle' and delay your first tank 're-arrange' until this second tank is ready?... then swap the fish over so you can re-arrange at leisure...

If you want 'real' plants in your tank, mix in a substrate additive (I use Laterite granules) with small natural gravel; with another layer of gravel over that; and finally your sand on top... this will give a good 'rooting' depth for the plants and reduce any 'Laterite' leakage...
 
Regarding painting the back, I would avoid an oil-based paint and use a water-based one. I have seen about 6 tanks (over a period of many years I have to say) where the oil-based paint has reacted with the silicone, and on one occasion caused several thousand pounds worth of damage.
 
Alright, well as I said, I will be using ammonia on an empty tank with the filters running, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a test kit that I use readily.

I was just wondering about the sand settling. Will it? and hopefully no fumes will be left from the paint after about a day or two.

What should I paint the back with?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top