Is my mini cycle progressing?

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So my tank started mini cycle about 1.5 weeks ago. I've been doing daily water changes since to ensure both ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm.
I use Prime and Stability on every water chance.

There were trace ammonia for first 3 days then it became constantly 0ppm since.
Nitrites have always been at about 0.25ppm however today it's even more, perhaps 0.50ppm.
Nitrates have been around 20ppm (my tap water is 15ppm) but today it's slightly higher, maybe about 25ppm.

Is this a sign that my cycle is progressing or are there any issues I should be worried about?

Sometimes the solution could be something unexpected. I've had 2 fish losses since so I decided to take drastic action.

3 days ago I gave my filter a clean including the pipes, and added bag of carbon.
I've used activated from a jar this time instead of the Fluval stuff and noticed the instruction say that I need to soak it in water for at least an hour to ensure it doesn't cause issues with oxygen depravation. This is a new one to me.

I've also thrown away what's left of Prime and Stability. The Prime started to smell really bad and Stability is forming milky layer. I suspect they may have spoilt during the heat wave over the summer.

I'm now using API Tap water conditioner with brand new bottle of Stability, with daily water changes of about 30%.
Fish seemed happier and today my water parameters seem to have stabilised (0ppm Ammonia and NItrite, about 15ppm Nitrate).

I really suspect that the dodgy Prime and Stability could be the contributor here, it's just one of those things you'd never expect.

That sounds pretty good to me actually.

Good job.

No idea about if there are differences between different brands of carbon, I have a plastic tub of Fluval carbon.......somewhere.......never been used! :lol:
But could possibly be, but think the end result is the same, only use for adsorbing chemical elements from the water column such as medication treatments.

I have to agree that out of date Seachem Prime and Stability could very easily cause false readings and could even have negative effects on livestock and water parameters in worst case scenarios.

You've done all the right things imho, well done. :good:

That sounds pretty good to me actually.

Good job.

No idea about if there are differences between different brands of carbon, I have a plastic tub of Fluval carbon.......somewhere.......never been used! :lol:
But could possibly be, but think the end result is the same, only use for adsorbing chemical elements from the water column such as medication treatments.

I have to agree that out of date Seachem Prime and Stability could very easily cause false readings and could even have negative effects on livestock and water parameters in worst case scenarios.

You've done all the right things imho, well done. :good:

Cheers :) It has been good learning curve.
Iā€™ve definitely learnt lots from this forum, great advice.

I didnā€™t realise that active carbon can cause oxygen starvation. I usually use the Fluval bagged carbon for my 307 which I only rinsing and soaking for few minutes. I ran out so have to use some from tub I bought some time ago and read the instructions.

Most reactions

Back