Is Melafix Speed For Fish?

wolfwolf

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
I have a krib with a mark on her side so I decided to treat the tank with melafix and pimafix. I have had great luck with this combination. About 30 seconds after the first dose of Melafix my ottos left their favorite piece of bog wood (favorite as in I never see them away from it) and actually swam around a little in the daylight. I have not seen them do this in months. Yesterday was the third day of treatment and they are still out sitting on plants. So my question is... why did Melafix have this affect on the ottos? The last addition to the tank was the kribs and that was a month ago. It is a 20 gallon high tank. Medium planted.

Thoughts?
 
Have you increased aeration.
The plecs could be stressed due to the meds added.
Why members always add melafix and pimafix to there tanks thinking that it cures everything.
Melafix is only good on cuts and wounds.
 
Wilder,

My krib does have some type of wound on her side. That is why I treated with Melafix and Pimafix. I cannot tell what the wound is but over the past 3 days it has been getting better. I do not think it is an open wound but I could not find any pictures in my fish disease book that even looked close. She isn't flicking or rubbing. Her color is fine. The male was beating up on her a little. So much for marital bliss. :lol: Anyway, since Melafix and Pima fix are natural remedies I thought it was a safe course to take. I think I have a higher opinion of Melafix than you do...

I did not consider that the meds would reduce the O2 in the tank. None of the fish are breathing hard or at the top of the tank, except the cories which have always made an occasional trip to the surface.

I did not add an airstone because... well because it is not good for planted tanks and I did not think low O2 was a problem.

The wound is a whitish discoloration on her side. It is very difficult to get a good look but I think it is swollen. The wound is circular.

My first thought was that a piece of gravel that I dropped in the tank hit her, but I have been told that would not hurt the fish.

Getting back on Topic you think my ottos are swimming around now because they are stressed due to low O2. Is that correct? I'll consider putting an airstone in to check your theory. Thanks! :good:
 
Meds reduce 02 in the water thats why you have to increase aeration.
Sorry about the melafix but seen it used to often on deseases it won't cure.
 
Meds reduce 02 in the water thats why you have to increase aeration.
Sorry about the melafix but seen it used to often on deseases it won't cure.

ME TO! It is too wimpy of a med to do much unless it is something like mild fin and tail rot.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top